Desktop icons keep rearranging with reboot in Virtual XP (VXP)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by JohnDohe, Aug 11, 2014.

1. JohnDohe

JohnDohe

I'm using virtual XP in my Windows 7 machine.

Everytime I reboot the VXP, the desktop icons are rearranged to the left side, from top to bottom of the desktop, in no particular order.

Suggestions??

HALP!!

JohnDohe, Aug 11, 2014
  2. JohnDohe

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 12, 2014
  3. JohnDohe

Jojo

If you have W7 and XP on the same drive, in separate partitions, or if you have them on different drives and are using the BOOT menu provided with W7, then I think you'll find W7 will tend to do strange things to XP.

I can't be certain if this was especially a problem with XP, but it happens with Windows and some versions of Linux.

The only safe way to use both OSs is to keep both of separate drives and switch over when BOOTing using the BOOT menu itself.

While most BOOT versions say to press F* to enter setup, this has generally been over written. Press F5

Jojo, Aug 12, 2014
  4. JohnDohe

Jojo

Correction to my last reply,

While most BOOT versions say to press F8 to enter setup, this has generally been over written. Press F5

I should have written, access the BOOT menu, usually pressing DEL during startup.

F5 will access Safe Mode. Apologies for that confusion. :eek:

Jojo, Aug 12, 2014
Ask a Question