desktop fails to boot occasionally

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by as-computers, Aug 19, 2012.

1. as-computers

as-computers

hi all,

having an issue with the following ASUS desktop. all help would be gratefully accepted.

The desktop has had a fresh copy of windows installed and everything was working fine. I connected up all my printer, scanner etc then all of a sudden the computer fails to boot to windows. It will start up for a couple of seconds then shut down. If i power off the PSU, press the start button to discharged the motherboard, turn the PSU back on and then hit the power button the computer works fine.

action taken in last 24hours
    removed everything from the case and rebuilt into a new desktop case.
    removed the processor and fan placing new thermal paste on
    reseated the memory.
    changed the power supply to a 650w (was 300w)
    changed all the sata connectors for the hard drive and the dvd drive.

ASUS Desktop computer - AMD Athlon dual core processor 4850e 2.5GHz ASUS M3N78-VM motherboard with HDMI socket
    (motherboard detailed link) http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3N78VM/
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    Super Write master/Lightscribe DVD player
    5in1 Card Reader
    300GB hard drive (Western Digital - Caviar Blue)

very frustrating. i'm thinking of re-installing windows at this rate. something is causing it to cut out.

Any suggestions? bios update maybe?

as-computers, Aug 19, 2012
Ask a Question