date in bios randomly set to daylight savings time at midnight on sept 3, 2022

i have a motherboard with a last bios update from 2009 that just randomly glitched to dst last night and set the date to nov 2, 2022, as a result. i'm trying to figure out of it's an error or a virus. i'm word processing on the machine, which is not exactly air-gapped in the most technical phrase of the term, but has no network adapter installed (the onboard ethernet adapter is disabled in the bios) and has not connected to the internet in years. so, it doesn't connect to an ntp server, and it must be counting internally. the reason i'm pausing is that i noticed some weird characters in some text files i coped over. i use usb keys to transfer data back and forth from a chromebook, so there is data moving back and forth.

has anybody else noticed glitches like this in xp, maybe even due to bad counting stemming from the calendar date, on account of the y2k bug?

i turned off dst. but, does anybody off of the top of their head know where in the registry that xp stores counting information relating to dst?

so, it's hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\time zones\eastern standard time\dynamic dst

my entries are

first entry
last entry

i take it that means that 2006 and 2007 are hardcoded and it's then counting between first and last for subsequent years. 2007 was quite a while ago.

as you really shouldn't be on the internet with xp anymore, a long list of hardcoded entries to 2050 would be a good idea. throwing that out there.

the base of this image was a volume license key from a big corporation that my dad took home from work with him in the mid-00s and installed everywhere (i never asked if it was legal) and was then winilted in 2007. i may not have ever downloaded the 2007 change in dst update. so, it might be counting from the last change using shorter window. i probably never noticed it before because i took it offline in 2016 to troubleshoot an audio issue (it's a recording machine with old software. that's why i'm still using it.) and i've been reinstalling every few months, since. the last update to daylight saving in 2022 was march 13th, but daylight savings in 2006 would have changed on april 2nd, which is a month later. so, the counter should be 3-4 weeks ahead, not two months ahead.

i think i may have unwittingly run a macro of some sort that may have been dumped in my blog by some official entity of unknown affinity.

you need to run the executable, huh? no way in directly to the registry?

i understand the process a little better now, anyways. thank you for that.

I do not have that sub key: dynamic dst. Perhaps timezone.exe makes changes to registry (?). I used to use the old TZEdit program but when they changed DST the last time I believe it had an issue. Doing a search I found Timezone.exe and have used it on roughly 20 fresh installs since. Never gave a problem. Perhaps setting a restore point and applying timezone.exe could show a before/after. I'd gladly do it but I do not have a fresh install on the dock.
BTW the txt file is from Microsoft except for the EST time stamp etc. That was my addition for my computers.
If you've found a registry workaround, we'd love to hear it.:)

Back