Cursor jumping around by itself, menus popping up...

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Kat, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Kat

Kat

My cursor jumps all over and different menus keep popping open on my desktop by themselves. If I'm playing a game it just keeps jerking around all over the screen. What the heck can I do to make it stop? I've tried system restore so many times I doubt if I can ever get all my stuff back! After a restore it's okay for maybe a day and then it starts again. I'm pretty sure this is a virus or some spyware, but I can't find any help for this anywhere, and I've looked, believe me! Please, please, please, please, please... somebody tell me how to make it stop. :confused: I'm running a Dell XPS 630i, and the chances of me getting a DX diag off of it are iffy because of the way it takes over my cursor. There is no internet connection on it. I'm using another computer to write this.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Kat, Sep 18, 2016
  2. Kat

Elizabeth23

was there an internet connection?? did you plug in an infected flash drive??

I would reinstall the os, or run some scans with malwarebytes free and with an antivirus.

there is a hidden partition which will take the pc back to factory settings. and or you could try a new mouse.

=============

below is link to owners manual at dell

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-630/manuals

Elizabeth23, Sep 18, 2016
  3. Kat

Kat

Elizabeth, thanks for the reply and suggestions. No internet connection now but a few years ago there was, however it ran fine for a couple of years without an internet connection before this started. I did use a flash drive shortly before this started and I when this started shortly after I used it I suspected it had a virus on it, but I'm unable to even find any info on any virus that does that particular thing so I'm not sure. I'm not going to plug that flash drive into my working computer and risk infecting it too so I don't know how else to find out for sure. I still have the suspect flash drive but don't know how to check it. Do you know what virus it might be so I can see if I can find a fix for it?

Kat, Sep 19, 2016
  4. Kat

Elizabeth23

First, you should have the os disable autoplay, there was an update that did this but you can do it through the registry, and then when you plug it in it will not open automatically and you can scan it with your antivirus before opening it.

I also have 360 total security essential installed as my antivirus and if will scan all usb's when plugged in and let you know if it is infected.

=============

have you tried a new mouse?? at the dell link I gave you in my last reply there is a diagnostic for the mouse, did you try it??

could be a corrupted driver

read in one thread that the surface on which the mouse rides could cause this.

and tell me does the same problem occur in safe mode???

Elizabeth23, Sep 20, 2016
Ask a Question