Ctrl+Alt+Del

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Apr 11, 2019.

1. trimis

trimis

When XP Pro freezes (usually Mypal seems to be the culprit), I hit ctrl+alt+delete. A popup appears, and I click on 'end task'. So how do I get rid of the popup after that? Been doing a computer restart, but I'm sure there is a better way.

trimis, Apr 11, 2019
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

I use the registry fixes below to not ever get that popup, I use 1000 for HungAppTimeout, WaitToKillServiceTimeout, and 1 for AutoEndTasks

Automatically Close Applications Not Responding at Shutdown

To Implement for All Users

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]

Registry Key: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

Data Type: REG_SZ [String Value] // Value Name: AutoEndTasks

Modify/Create the Value Name [AutoEndTasks] according to the Value Data listed below.

Value Data: [0 = AutoEndTasks Disabled / 1 = AutoEndTasks Enabled]

Exit Registry and Reboot

Modify Shutdown Time for Services to Close

[Start] [Run] [Regedit] Change to 2000

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Modify/Create the Value Name [WaitToKillServiceTimeout] according to the Value Data listed below.

Data Type: REG_SZ [String Value] // Value Name: WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Value Data: [Default = 20,000 (expressed in milliseconds) Modify to preference.]

Exit Registry and Reboot

===============

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

WaitToKillServiceTimeout and

HungAppTimeout

Elizabeth23, Apr 11, 2019
  3. trimis

priscus

I got very frustrated with freezes which did not even permit the machine to respond to 'Control Alt Delete', (or access to task manager from desktop), so implemented a one line command line program: 'TASKKILL', using a wildcard (*) for the process id, and the filter set to STATUS=non responding. (Had to check with Microsoft site, to get the exact syntax for the command)

Then set a keyboard shortcut (I use Control Alt K), and also desktop icon shortcut (I use big red X), either of these kill any non responding process.

So if I have input from either mouse or keyboard, I can kill the offending task. Still get instances where neither of these inputs register, leaving no option but 'RESET'!

Does get results where I do not get access to task manager, a brief flash on the screen of command line terminal, but nothing else, so screen unchanged from where I was, to continue uninterrupted.

I think this only works on XP Pro, not XP Home.

priscus, Jun 3, 2019
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

priscus, I sometimes have to press crtl+alt+del several times, but it has eventually come up. :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2019
Ask a Question