corrupted file(s) on disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by dlg, Mar 13, 2015.

1. dlg

dlg

I have an XP disk with at least one corrupted file. When my system crashed I could not re-install due to this. Can I get single replacement files from somewhere/someone if I tell you what the file is? I use it on a macbook with parallels

thanks

dlg, Mar 13, 2015
  2. dlg

Elizabeth23

If you tell me what the file is, I can upload it to my onedrive, if it is home or professional xp, I do not have mce.

once you have the files, then copy your disk to your desktop add the new files and burn a new bootable install disk with imgburn or nlite.

what was the exact message when you tried to reinstall??

Elizabeth23, Mar 13, 2015
  3. dlg

dlg

thanks, it may take me a few days to get it back in the mac and see what was missing, but I will get back to you. It's been over a year and I pretty much gave it up as gone.

dlg

dlg, Mar 16, 2015
  4. dlg

dlg

It's XP home version 2002.
    I tried to copy the disk to the desktop with mac's disk utility, but after several minutes of looking like it was working it quit and said " input output error" (more or less), that may be due to the "damage" on the disk.

I used this with Parallels 4.0 to run autocad LT 2007 on my mac for many years until I had a failure, then when trying to reload XP it had the file error. I've searched all my old notes for an explanation, but I didn't write down what it said at the time. Now I don't even know how to identify the corrupt file on the disk. Any thoughts?

thanks

dlg

dlg, Mar 16, 2015
  5. dlg

Elizabeth23

other than try to load again, and copy the exact error messages

try copying the disk to desktop just a few files at a time

I was having a problem with an oembios file on my install cd, I just kept copying file until it copied correctly ;)

Elizabeth23, Mar 16, 2015
  6. dlg

dlg

thanks for the help. I tried copying files and about 1/2 of the way through the disk I had about 40 bad files scattered all over the place. I think I'll give up it's getting too painful.

Any other ways of getting a disk replaced without buying another one?

dlg, Mar 18, 2015
  7. dlg

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Mar 18, 2015
Ask a Question