Copy my old full XP retail install to new machine ??

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by mamba76, Aug 15, 2018.

1. mamba76

mamba76

Hi all. My Elitebook 6930p finally bit the dust (with a little help from me, video bios was black screening) so Iv bought a new Probook with i7 and Win 10.
    I am going have a dual boot (XP & Win10) so when my new notebook arrives I will first shrink the Win10 partition and create a new one for my old XP install, which will gradually decrease in size as I transfer functionality of any XP programs to Win 10. The reason I still want XP as I have a lot of third party car specific programs that only work with XP. Plus its sad to see it go (to my surprise I found Win 10 operates very much like XP, wohoo!)

Iv looked into Aomei Backupper and EaseUS Todo PC transfer but Im not filled with confidence they will restore my old XP install to my new machine without issues. Anyone with experience of this would be good to hear from you..?

So then I remembered the files and settings transfer wizard in XP?? If I do a clean install of my retail XP to the fresh partition on my new machine could I use 'file and settings transfer' or other similar 3rd party software to quickly get my old system up and running on the new Probook?

Theres stuff on my XP install that was a right pain to install and a lot of it. No way am I doing another fresh XP install !!

I have a spare formatted 2.5" HDD and a USB adapter for external storage which will help the process.

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

mamba76, Aug 15, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. mamba76

cmccaff1

I wish I knew what to say--I'm not too familiar with this sort of thing, but I will say this: based on my own personal experiences, XP's upper limit as far as being able to fully function properly (with all devices/drivers working) is Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell-era Intel processors. SB and IB are very easy in most cases to get working with XP, but Haswell is a bit trickier (but not impossible). Is this is a brand-spanking new machine (as in, latest-gen i7 or close)? If so, be prepared for a fight...newer BIOSes and motherboards tend to axe legacy options that were conveniently available in older hardware. Not saying it won't work, but it won't be easy.

For getting your drivers installed (and there SHOULD be XP-compatible drivers out there for at least some of your devices), I recommend SlimDrivers 2.3.1.0 (which can be downloaded from MajorGeeks and FileHippo.com, among other sites). That's the only program I trust for doing driver updates (and it just may come in handy, since I'm at least 90% certain the HP site has no XP-specific drivers listed for your Probook); the other ones I won't even touch with a ten-foot pole. If you end up getting XP working you can rest assured that it's going to run like greased lightning on that hardware...XP was designed to work even on ancient (pre-MMX) Pentiums, and runs fast on Pentium III/4 and Athlon XP/64-era processors, so a newer or latest-gen i7 should absolutely blaze.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help...I pray there will be others on this forum who can render you assistance more along the lines of what you need. God bless and have a great weekend!

cmccaff1, Sep 15, 2018
  3. mamba76

mamba76

Hi, thanks for the reply. I put this on the back burner for a while and repaired my old machine so I have 2 now but do still want to install XP as a dual boot on new one. I used EasyBCD to get the dual boot options on start up. The XP image I installed goes as far as the splash screen the BSOD's. The main problem is getting the SATA drivers for XP to use, because they are not text mode or something. The link below is my best shot but it got a bit complicated and my replacement old machine turned up (elitebook 6930p) so been using XP on that. It seems I need to make a modified XP install CD using N-lite with the correct drivers pre installed. These were modified by a chap called Fernando on the link below. I will get round to it eventually. Your reply may have spurred me on! Most driver software is spam so its good to know about slimdrivers (sounds like slimcleaner that I use all the time?)
    Cheers

https://www.win-raid.com/t22f45-Gui...AID-drivers-into-a-Windows-XP-W-k-W-k-CD.html

mamba76, Sep 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  4. mamba76

Elizabeth23

slimcleaner and slimdriver are both from Slimware Utilities :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  5. mamba76

cmccaff1

Take your time, my friend! There is no need to rush. Setting your BIOS to legacy mode, if it is available, should help you. I am glad my response was motivating. Cheers to you as well!

cmccaff1, Sep 16, 2018
Ask a Question