Confirmed: Microsoft Into Numerology

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by eatup, Sep 30, 2014.

1. eatup

eatup

I didn't know Microsoft was so heavy into the "science" of Numerology until today's unveiling of "Windows 9's" name. Apparently, they're calling it Windows 10. Here's the reason why: It all has to do with the Numerology of their Kernel Versions!

Windows 7 --- Kernel 6.1 --- Numerology: 6 + 1 = 7
    Windows 8 --- Kernel 6.2 --- Numerology: 6 + 2 = 8
    Windows 8.1 --- Numerology: 8 + 1 = 9 --- Kernel 6.3 --- Numerology: 6 + 3 = 9. (So 8.1 is actually Windows 9)
    Next "Windows" --- Kernel 6.4 --- Numerology: 6 + 4 = 10. (This is why they're calling it Windows 10).

Perplexes me why such an industry giant would resort to Numerology for its OS naming. Personally, I think Numerology is just superstition based on some historical guy's work (ie. Pythagoras). Also, I think the reason why they're avoiding Windows 9 also has to do with superstition. According to superstition, seven ate nine (7 8 9). Hence, if you believe in the superstition, 9 could never have the same success level as 7!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    eatup, Sep 30, 2014
  2. eatup

eatup

Personally, what do I think about the naming? Boo!!!! I was all gung ho for "Windows 9". I shall never have 10 nor 11 installed on my system. Jesus is a fish (Pisces = 12th sign). One tribe of Israel's 12 betrayed them, so they are left with 11. Although I'm not Jewish, for me neither 10 nor 11 is a no go d/t superstition... On the other hand, it's good that next year's OS will be called 10. It only means I have less to wait for 12's arrival...

eatup, Sep 30, 2014
  3. eatup

eatup

Just another update. Windows 10 isn't (1 + 0 = 1, ie. Windows One). It's actually Windows 64 (as per the kernel version 6.4). One is the start of something. 64 is the last codon of the 64 codons found in DNA. Even in the I-Ching, the 64th (last) hexagram isn't a very good hexagram. Hence, Windows 10 sounds about right (as opposed to Windows One). 7 is the number of God, which is why 8 and 9 can't expect to beat its market share. 10 is just meh. I have Windows 8. Thanks to "Windows 10" (ie. Windows 64), I will never upgrade my 8.1 system. Also, making it FREE for 8.x users just cheapens it for me...

eatup, Sep 30, 2014
  4. eatup

eatup

Aha, another revelation came into my mind. There are rumors that Windows 10 will no longer support 32-bit systems. Know why? It's again b/c of the kernel version. Windows 10 will have kernel version 6.4 (6 + 4 --- 64 --- 64-bit only operating system)! Get it?

Btw, I love this numerology stuff... Goes to show Windows 10 development was spearheaded by someone heavy into numerology, possibly a Freemason or Illuminati member...

eatup, Sep 30, 2014
  5. eatup

Jody Thornton

Well there is definitely going to be an x86 build (the ISO will be 3 GB, while the ISO for the x64 build clocks in at 4 GB). Also "10" was chosen since Windows 10 is going to be the last full release of Microsoft Windows. After this, Windows revisions will come in the form of cumulative updates (for both features and patches). The update process of the Google Chrome browser would be the best comparison, except these updates will come monthly.

So feature improvements will be pushed to users more rapidly and you'll always be on the current build. The re-engineered update process is likely considered in technical circles to be THE feature of Windows 10.

Jody Thornton, Oct 1, 2014
  6. eatup

eatup

I'm kinda hoping 10 would be their last. Somebody needs to step up and make an XP 2nd Edition type OS. I'm so sick of this bloating of performance to keep people in a perpetual hardware upgrade cycle. So, I'm saying NO thanks to 10. I already have two machines with XP drivers. The older one is 7 years old and could possibly last me another 7 years. The new one, hmm... I wager 23 more years if I stock pile up on a few hard drives...

What I would love to see happening is Japan coming up with their own Operating System. I'd be over it like flies if they release an English version b/c like I said, I'm so sick of Windows after XP. And if they don't have an EN ver, well I guess I'll just have to learn Japanese! It's not really fair b/c the OS market is like a jetfighter --- mostly dominated by American tech. Have you seen the crazy shite the Japanese will be putting out in their own ShinShin stealthfighter (just b/c Congress didn't let them buy F22's)? Stuff like auto-repairing control system and optical wires to neutralize EMPs. I want to see this same crazy shite put into their own OS, should Japan ever develop one...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    eatup, Oct 1, 2014
  7. eatup

Jody Thornton

Well there is hope for ReactOS. It is a reworking of the NT Based Kernel and Shell, so that Windows applications could be supported. I wish it would get past alpha stage and bear fruit.

As for XP, or even better yet Windows Server 2003 (which was used for building XP x64 Edition), very little would need to be done so that it could exploit newer hardware (namely CPUs, USB 3, and Sata). Then Microsoft could license it on a subscription basis. So you get your XP Plus (whatever you decide to call the OS) media, install the OS, and then you pay $25 to $30 annually. Then you get security and stability updates pushed to you.

Why they could not have done that, and it would have made a handsome little profit centre for Microsoft. Yet, it would have made XP users tremendously happy.

Jody Thornton, Oct 1, 2014
    xperceniol likes this.
  8. eatup

xperceniol

Hmmm ... am I getting this right? I'm fetching the latest live DVDs and wondering does it jump from V15, V16 to 19? Appears all updates were in March, just making sure as I'm gonna give this another try. Thank you in advance.

xperceniol, Jun 27, 2022
  9. eatup

xperceniol

[​IMG]

xperceniol, Jun 27, 2022
  10. eatup

Jody Thornton

Wow that was a long time ago. Let us know how ReactOS does for you.

Jody Thornton, Jul 9, 2022
  11. eatup

xperceniol

Thank you for the reply, Jody ... will do! Haven't gotten around to it; regrettably, just dealing with so much lately.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    xperceniol, Jul 9, 2022
    Jody Thornton likes this.
  12. eatup

xperceniol

Ok ... so I fired up a live session with 4.14 V15 and its not very good, at least not on this system, so I'll have to pass I'm afraid, but will keep an open mind/heart to future updates ;)

xperceniol, Jul 10, 2022
    Jody Thornton likes this.
Ask a Question