Certain website videos will not play on windows xp machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by magicant, Dec 29, 2015.

1. magicant

magicant

My friend has a computer with windows XP SP3. She has most of the latest updates (not sure if there are still a few to be installed). And one website's videos will not load. She tried in internet explorer and firefox. They work fine on a Windows 7 machine.

When clicking to watch the video there is just a black screen, nothing else. I tried clicking on the video on the windows 7 machine to get info but no right click options are available. I tried searching through the page info to see if I could find a direct link to the video but I couldn't figure it out. It's a foreign website, unfortunately. Wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

This is the website below (a direct link to one of the vidoes). You have to click on ASSISTIR to start playing the video. Thanks.

http://www.neymaroficial.com/pt/videos/2-anos-barcelona-neymar-jr-episodio-1

magicant, Dec 29, 2015
  2. magicant

FranceBB

FranceBB, Dec 30, 2015
  3. magicant

magicant

I've thought about that but in the past I've read people saying to never install K-lite as it can cause a lot of problems. Maybe things have changed more recently?

magicant, Dec 30, 2015
  4. magicant

Elizabeth23

I've used klite codecs so I can listen to mp4 on my xpsp3 pc and they have not messed anything up, have been using these codec for 5 or 6 years.

Elizabeth23, Dec 31, 2015
  5. magicant

magicant

Would you mind testing the video from the link I posted to see if it works on your XP machine with the k-lite codec?

Thanks.

magicant, Dec 31, 2015
  6. magicant

Elizabeth23

I tested the video link with both using klite and without klite, clicking on assistir gives me a buffer circle and then a black screen with an x in the upper right that when I click on it turns it back to the original page.

7. magicant

magicant

So it looks like K-lite does not help. On windows 7 machines (I tried on 2 of them) it buffers for a second and then the video starts playing. I can't right click on the video to get any info so I don't know what kind of player it is or anything like that. Maybe this site simply does not work on windows xp (I tried with Internet Explorer and Firefox on the XP machine).

Thanks for testing it.

magicant, Dec 31, 2015
  8. magicant

Elizabeth23

could be, I do not know enough to figure out how to get some websites to play videos, that is the only website I have been to that I could not have played the video.

9. magicant

FranceBB

I tried with k-meleon (firefox light) and it's not playing, which is weird... (just a black screen).
    It seems that the site you linked uses a custom player made in java.
    When I used the avast safe zone browser (a custom browser made using chromium sources), instead, it displayed "your browser doesn't support the playback of this video", which means that, probably, an updated version of chrome will.
    Try with chrome and let me know.
    Unfortunately, I had to uninstall it 'cause it requires too much ram for my poor, old system.

FranceBB, Dec 31, 2015
  10. magicant

magicant

She doesn't have an extremely strong aystem either and I've heard chrome ises alot of respurces. She is not gonna want to install a new browser just for this one website givong her problems. So i dont think i will be able to test that. Maybe i can try to update her java. Will have to look at that.

Tha ks for trying it.

magicant, Dec 31, 2015
  11. magicant

magicant

Looks like lateat java 8 is not officially supported in XP. Guess I'll have to do some research before installing it

magicant, Jan 1, 2016
  12. magicant

Elizabeth23

above from HERE

Elizabeth23, Jan 1, 2016
  13. magicant

magicant

Thank you. Guess i will give it a try.

Thanks.

magicant, Jan 1, 2016
Ask a Question