Cds and Flash drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Donny, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Donny

Donny

Not sure if this is the right page but.....I want to put my music cds onto a new USB flash drive so I can play in my new car, which does not have a cd player in it?...isn't there a quick way in Media Player for me to do this, without having to play the entire cd and then move it from a Playlist to the USB? I have seen a page on FaceBook telling how to do it, but it must be for a newer version of Windows, as it did not work for me.

Donny, Jun 13, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  2. Donny

priscus

I used a program called 'Exact Audio Copy' to turn desired tracks into FLAC files, which are then just copied to USB drive. There may be easier ways.

priscus, Jun 13, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  3. Donny

ClippyBeer

The latest version of Window Media Player that will run on XP is 11.

[​IMG]

It has the option to rip music CDs to other formats which you can then play from your USB drive.

Choose the 'Rip' option from the main screen.

[​IMG]

Windows Media Player will rip music CDs to WMA (Windows Media Audio) by default. Since you didn't mention what model car stereo or what media formats it supports I recommend selecting MP3 - Everything plays MP3. If you require other formats then you will have to use a different CD ripper such as the one priscus suggests.

One more thing - Media Player will usually identify the CD inserted and populate all the fields with the correct Album, Artist and track titles - in some cases it won't and will leave those fields with generic info.

[​IMG]

If this happens it is recommended you right-click on the fields for Album, artist and track titles and manually enter them before ripping. If not then when playing in your car stereo you will see "Unknown Artist - Track 1, Unknown Artist - Track 2." This will make choosing the correct songs to play impossible while driving especially if you have a large amount of music files on your USB flash drive.

When you're ready just hit the 'Start Rip' button on the lower right of Media Player.

ClippyBeer, Jun 14, 2019
    jim davis and Elizabeth23 like this.
  4. Donny

Katie Boundary

I didn't realize that WMP had ripping capability, but now that I think about it, I think I tried ripping with WMP back in the day, but stopped because the latest version of WMP at the time was 9, and WMP 9 would only rip to WMA, which was useless for my purposes.

My CD-ripping tool of choice is CDex because that's what was used 20 years ago and I'm an old maid stuck in my ways.

Katie Boundary, Jun 18, 2019
  5. Donny

jim davis

for music quality and highest fidelity between most all devices
    never mess with anything but "LOSSLESS" rips

jim davis, Jul 11, 2019
    priscus likes this.
  6. Donny

jim davis

CHIPPY THANKS FOR GREAT GRAPHICS

jim davis, Jul 11, 2019
  7. Donny

jim davis

CDex
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The recent reincarnation of CDex
    has seen a number of sponsored programs being automatically selected during installation with little information about their nature. Scan results suggest there may be a substantial risk to any system these are installed on[5] along with the source code no longer being publicly accessible, preventing independent code review.

This project should be considered as exploited by the new maintainer and should not be trusted. This project should not be trusted or installed on your machine.

jim davis, Jul 11, 2019
Ask a Question