CCleaner

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by priscus, Sep 18, 2017.

1. priscus

cmccaff1

The last CCleaner version I would give any thought to using is 4.x, but I'm actually still on 2.36. At the cost of not being able to clean out files for certain newer or more obscure programs, it lacks the frills/junk of its successors (such as 'active monitoring' and trying to get you to download Google Chrome as part of the deal). Very fast, too.

cmccaff1, Sep 11, 2018
  2. priscus

Elizabeth23

I always disable active monitoring and check for updates, as I monitor my pc myself and I do not want any updates. :)

besides using ccleaner, I also use TFC, (no longer updated, but can still be downloaded from bleeping computer.) to clean out the files that ccleaner seems to miss.

Elizabeth23, Sep 11, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  3. priscus

cmccaff1

I'll have to give TFC a try! How do you have your installation configured? I know that with a fresh install of CCleaner, all I have to do is uncheck a couple boxes and I'm good to go. I also use the old Disk Cleaner program (http://www.diskcleaner.nl/), specifically version 1.5.7 (the newest stable release and last to support Windows 9x + pre-XP NT versions).

cmccaff1, Sep 11, 2018
  4. priscus

Janice

Sorry I picked this up only today. Both Kaspersky and Eset still do the online scan for xp. Used them both yesterday.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Janice, Jan 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  5. priscus

Janice

I downloaded version 1.5.7. Version 1.8.1795 (RC4) is also available for download at Sourceforge. Disk Cleaner web page says this version is "recommended for XP/Vista7" Do you think I should use this version with XP? What is (RC4)?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Janice, Jan 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  6. priscus

cmccaff1

Thank you for your response, Janice! I apologize for not stopping by the forum in a while. There have been quite a few things going on in my life lately, but I haven't forgotten about all the people who have been so gracious to me on this wonderful forum. I'll be glad to respond to your inquiry.

It bears mentioning, I think, that I am no longer using 1.5.7 (though it will still be the version I use on old computers that don't have decent enough specs to run XP at a fast speed [meaning I would install 95, NT 4.0, 98/98SE/ME, or Win2000 on them]). On my current XP installation I am using 1.8.1795, and I would recommend other XP users to use this version as well; being a couple of years newer it offers compatibility with a wider range of programs as far as the possibilities for deleting junk files from the PC (the same reason I am now back on CCleaner 5.32 after temporarily migrating back to 2.36). "RC4" stands for 'release candidate 4,' meaning Disk Cleaner 1.8.x was still in the beta stages. I would not be surprised if the Disk Cleaner forums are still active, maintained by people attempting to extend the life of this wonderful little program. For me, Disk Cleaner 1.8.1795 out of the box works perfectly fine, but if you want to see what's going on at their forums (presuming there is indeed still activity happening there) and try to get any custom upgrades there, then I'd say it's worth taking a look.

For anyone who is interested, this is my current setup on XP as far as programs go:
    -Centaury 0.0.2 and Mypal 28.2.2 (the latest versions [as of January 5, 2019] of feodor2's Basilisk UXP/Pale Moon 28 forks; these are by far the best browsers available for XP at the moment, & must-haves for anyone who wants to use XP as their main OS)
    -CCleaner 5.32 (the final version Piriform released before the Avast merger; I wouldn't bother with any newer versions, quite frankly, as this works absolutely flawlessly on XP)
    -Defraggler 1.21 (2.21 was the last version released before Avast acquired Piriform, but 1.21 is the last in the 1.x series, and does exactly what I need it to do [a smooth, fast defrag] without the extra bells/whistles that slow things down with later versions)
    -Disk Cleaner 1.8.1795 (the latest [and likely final] version of this obscure yet brilliant program, which covers a few bases that even this modern version of CCleaner misses)
    -VLC Media Player 1.1.11 (the last good version, in my opinion; VideoLAN made many changes to the interface with the 2.x and 3.x series that I am not a fan of in the least, and because of its low overhead [VLC 1.x works well even on a Pentium4] it's very fast)
    -Winamp 5.8 (the latest version, with some controversial history attached to it; this was originally a beta sent out to a small number of testers, all of whom were supposed to keep things confidential--one of them ended up leaking it to the public. As you can imagine there was a big to-do about the situation, but eventually the official dev team sanctioned it as an official release after patching up a few bugs to improve stability. Having tested it on most of my machines I've been quite impressed with its speed and reliability...there are no differences between it & 2.79 [my previous preferred version] as far as resource usage/performance, even on the old DC5000 with a 2.8GHz Prescott P4 [though it may help that I have it set to use the classic theme]. Winamp 6 is in the works, but I intend to continue using 5.8 for the foreseeable future as I anticipate this newer version will have a few bugs upon its initial release, and allegedly they will also be retiring the classic 'thunderbolt' logo [I hope they won't remove the classic theme].)
    -MS Office 97 (I personally see no need for using a newer version, as this classic suite still does all I need it to do with regards to documents/presentations and spreadsheets [and will even run on 95/NT3.51 which for me is a huge bonus as far as compatibility])
    -7Zip 18.06 (after months and months without any updates, this surprise release came out in late December 2018; it's still fully XP-compatible & even more stable than 18.05)
    -WinRAR 5.40 (5.50 defaults to RAR5 [which is incompatible with oldWinRAR versions] so this is the last version I will be using--I see no reason to try any newer releases, as this is quite fast/reliable [even on the DC5000 there are no issues performance-wise])

I also use the Windows Classic (not Standard) theme, and have vertigosity's ineXPerience patcher (version 0.7.2, the latest [and likely last as it dates all the way back to 2008, around the same time SP3 was released]) installed (which replaces many elements of the XP shell with their counterparts from Win2000, with a few bits/pieces also coming from ME and betas of Whistler) as well as a Win98 theme downloaded via themeworld.com (which I've taken significant liberties with as far as customization; my main reason for using it is because it restores some of the beautiful 256-color 98 icons, and I've found no other way to get them under XP thus far). The end result is very similar to 95/NT 4.0 as far as the look/feel, combined with some of the aesthetic improvements that came about in 98/98SE/ME/2000, and of course XP's spectacular & unbeatable compatibility with older/newer software. It is a true 'classic' experience that simply isn't possible with Vista and newer versions, and one of many reasons why I'm still holding onto this time-tested, venerable masterpiece of an operating system.

I currently run 32-bit XP SP3 on an HP ProDesk 600 G1 with a 3.5GHz Core i5-4690 (Haswell), 8GB of RAM (XP only sees 3.4GB, which is more than enough for my needs), a 500GB HDD (which I haven't put even a dent in as far as available storage space is concerned), and a CD/DVD reader (not burner, but since I haven't burned any CDs in a while that's not a problem for me; upgrade drives and external burners shouldn't be too expensive, so I'm not terribly worried either way). This is one of the newest machines capable of running XP, and offers absolutely brilliant performance for my everyday use.

If you or anyone else has any questions, please let me know. I'm just going to end the message here before I ramble on too much longer. I pray you'll have a wonderful 2019!

cmccaff1, Jan 5, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  7. priscus

Janice

Hello cmccaff1

You are the most helpful and friendliest person on our planet :):):)
    This is our lot. The eternal struggle :eek:
    Much has gone on during this time. Please see my PM to you. Thank you for all the tips in you post.

Janice, Jan 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  8. priscus

cmccaff1

I can imagine! I had a chance lately to look at a few of the more recent threads, but couldn't find any where I could provide meaningful input. If such a thread pops up, and I just so happen to see it, I'll gladly put my two cents in!

cmccaff1, Jan 5, 2019
  9. priscus

WindowsXPforever

There is New Moon and basilik that are updated weekly on xp/vista!

WindowsXPforever, Jan 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  10. priscus

cmccaff1

That is true! I prefer Centaury and Mypal because of their .exe installers, but I'm not opposed to using roytam1's New Moon/Basilisk forks.

cmccaff1, Jan 5, 2019
  11. priscus

Janice

Kaspersky Virus Removal tool is still staying with XP. Today they sent me the latest update. It complements my Quiho 360 nicely :cool:

Janice, Jan 9, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  12. priscus

jim davis

I would dump CC cleaner ASAP
    it is hard on machines, as it over drives the hard drive to work.

GET Jet Clean, plus it has a back up device and turns off back ground junk that helps reduce stress on hard drive.

it also has" DON'T FORGET TO THANK ELIZABETH FOR ALL SHE DOES" POP UPS IF YOU FORGET :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PLUS YOU READ THIS ON THE INTERNET SO IT MUST BE TRUE :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jim davis, Feb 2, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  13. priscus

jim davis

PRISUS I gave you a lot of likes cause you have a mess of post, but few likes

I THINK ITS CAUSE OF YOUR BAD HAIR DAY THING

personally, I use watered down Elmer's glue, plus i never drop hairs

:eek::eek:

jim davis, Feb 2, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  14. priscus

cmccaff1

I'm not sure if older versions are any more forgiving to/less taxing on a hard drive than the latest CCleaner would be (5.32 is the last I'll even consider using), but I'm back on CCleaner 2.36. It's much slimmer/trimmer (the install .exe is only 1.13MB), runs significantly faster (on my HP ProDesk 600 G1 it's like greased lightning), and does a fine job of knocking out the clutter/junk files as well as keeping the registry clean. The especially nice part is that (IIRC) it will actually work on NT 4.0 and 98SE, & in fact (if I'm not mistaken) is the last version of CCleaner compatible with those operating systems (so if you have an older PC that isn't powerful enough to run XP at a good enough speed, but still want to clean the registry and eliminate junk files, this will definitely do the job superbly).

cmccaff1, Feb 3, 2019
Ask a Question