Can't see XP Professional shares from Win 7, Vista explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by shakey, Oct 2, 2012.

1. shakey

shakey

I have a home network.
    We have 1 XP Home, 2 Vista Home, 1 Vista Ultimate, 1 Windows 7 Pro and 1 XP Pro machine on the network.

On my Win 7 machine in Windows explorer, under Network I can see all the machines with a > next to each and when I click on it I can see the shares for each machine except the XP Pro machine. When I try to expand it I get a dialog to enter a Network Password.
    In the dialog the is XPPROMACHINENAME\username and a textbox for the password.

At the bottom of the dialog is an X circled in red saying Login Failure: unknown user name or password.

I enter the password, hit OK and the dialog pops up again. Same happens with the Vista machines, however, I can log logon to the XP Pro from the XP Home, the diaglog doesn't require a domain prefix.

All machines are members of the same Workgroup and all have File and Printer sharing turned on. I ran the Network setup wizard on the XP Pro machine.

I don't know what else I can do.

shakey, Oct 2, 2012
Ask a Question