Can't see BIOS on new GPU

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Ten2O, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Ten2O

Ten2O

I recently got a new GPU: 750 ti for Windows XP and Vista, maybe Windows 7 as well. Now, it works perfectly INSIDE the OS, but it doesn't work in the BIOS. Whenever it's booting up, I get a blank screen (the screen turns on, but it's blank until the OS starts booting). The keyboard and everything else in the bios works, except the screen. I have the GPU enabled in the bios, onboard is turned off. I have a temporary way of accessing the bios: switching the GPU to a GT 1030 whenever I want to access it. This is very inefficient. How do I make the BIOS appear? Is it some sort of driver issue? I didn't think the BIOS needed drivers? Updating the BIOS is not possible. Resetting the BIOS Is not possible, as it has special settings set by someone I have lost contact with. I heard this can be a monitor problem, but I don't have any extra monitors. Motherboard: IBM System x3300 (This is a repurposed server).

Ten2O, Oct 15, 2020
  2. Ten2O

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 15, 2020
  3. Ten2O

Ten2O

You're wrong, it does. At least for me. The splash screen shows up, and has a white bar underneath saying things like "connecting boot devices" and something about RAID controllers, then asks me to press a key to enter the bios/diagnostic/boot devices. With this new GPU, it has no splash screen, and when I do press the buttons, nothing happens. I can tell it enters the bios because it doesn't continue booting if I press the key for it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Ten2O, Oct 15, 2020
  4. Ten2O

Ten2O

If I try with a different card, it displays. Even an old half broken card displayed it.

Ten2O, Oct 16, 2020
  5. Ten2O

ClippyBeer

@Elizabeth23 : He's talking about the boot screen most PCs display before the OS boots.

[​IMG]

@Ten2O : You're going to have to join NVidia's forums and post your issue there, it's a glitch with the graphics card, maybe some incompatibility with that PC. Not being able to access the BIOS makes the card unusable in that system. I had a similar issue with an old Voodoo3 card. I was still able to access the BIOS and select boot device by pressing the appropriate keys, but instead of the usual boot screen all I got was blank.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    ClippyBeer, Oct 16, 2020
  6. Ten2O

Ten2O

Thanks, I'll ask there.

Ten2O, Oct 16, 2020
  7. Ten2O

Elizabeth23

thanks, ClippyBeer, I had forgotten that screen, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 16, 2020
  8. Ten2O

Ten2O

Posted there, but it'll probably take them a few days to respond. What did you do to fix it?

Post on there: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...3244/cant-see-boot-screen-or-bios-on-new-gpu/

Ten2O, Oct 17, 2020
  9. Ten2O

ClippyBeer

I couldn't fix it, this was a long time ago on a Pentium 2 computer. The screen would turn on but blank display, no POST. Pressing F2 at that moment would let me enter the BIOS or F12 to pick boot device. Otherwise everything worked fine so I just learned to live without the POST screen.

ClippyBeer, Oct 17, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  10. Ten2O

Ten2O

I think I found a solution. If I have my monitor auto-switch input, then I can have onboard enabled. I can use onboard when it's booting, then I can use GPU as a 2nd display, and when the OS boots, the input auto switches to the GPU. All this would be possible with my current monitor, but not with the one that I am using for the PC with the problem. I would need a new monitor.

Ten2O, Oct 18, 2020
  11. Ten2O

secpar

My guess is what's taking place is that the adapter for digital takes awhile to bootup onto the monitor. Analog is always faster, but it's not as accurate.

Another thing to consider is the length and specs of the cable.

I will simply say that I notice this with my computer: the screen shows up quicker on the DVI-I port than it does on the DVI-D port. That, and the OS likes to treat the DVI-I port on the 750 Ti KalmX like it's the first port of the adapter.

Now, if you have an auto-switching monitor, as you say then it's more of a "boot time" for your monitor to both recognize and process the incoming digital signal.

If you have other monitors, you could try them to gather some comparisons.

secpar, Mar 5, 2021
    Samir likes this.
  12. Ten2O

Samir

So the reason you're having this happen is because the bios is displaying on your other display adapter in the system/motherboard, etc until windows boots up. If you hook up a second monitor to it, I'm betting you would see the bios on the other monitor and then everything would switch to your new video card and other display.

Ironically, this is how quirky multiple monitors were back in the day and why they were generally unheard of.

Samir, Apr 1, 2021
Ask a Question