Can't log on. . .

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by olerockstar, Feb 14, 2013.

1. olerockstar

olerockstar

I thought I was pretty knowledgeable in XP but this problem has me stumped. On start-up when the log in box appears, since I never set up a password I could just hit enter & all was good. Now when the log in box appears, it won't let me in as before. All I get is "The system cannot log you on. Make sure your User name & domain are correct, then enter your password again." (not on a domain). Tried Safe Mode to get to command prompt to do system restore (rstrui.exe), but no matter what (F8/F9) I tried, I can't get into anything to fix this. The log in box always appears. Changed the bios to boot from CD, but it won't even even boot from the XP CD. Prior to this happening, running SP3 with up to date upgrades, everything was fine, now this. I'm thinking if I rename the computer, I might get past this. But how?? About ready to trash this board & buy new motherboard & memory. Anybody got any ideas? (Thanx Bill)

olerockstar, Feb 14, 2013
  2. olerockstar

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 14, 2013
Ask a Question