Can't log into Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Reggie Smith, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Reggie Smith

Reggie Smith

Today, I was not able to login into Windows XP with my account. My account is administrator equivalent and it says incorrect password when I try to log in. This is not on a domain, just a local laptop at my home. I am absolutely typing the correct password (I changed it two weeks ago and have been logging in every day since). So I don't know if somehow I got a virus or it was hacked (if that is possible). I've tried booting in safe mode but that still requires a password as well. I also tried using Administrator without a password but that also states invalid password. How can I get into my laptop. I know it's time for me to upgrade and had planned on it soon, but now I'm desperate to some how be able to get logged on. Has anyone had this happen to them before? Does the account lock out after so many attempts and if so does it reset after a certain amount of time? Any suggestions would really be appreciate

Reggie Smith, Mar 26, 2018
  2. Reggie Smith

Elizabeth23

if you have your install disk, boot into bios and choose to boot from cd, then run the recovery console with the following command:

chkdsk c: /r (space between k and c, also : and /)

lengthy process depending on your drive size, if any errors are found, then run again until no errors are found.

see if you can login

Elizabeth23, Mar 26, 2018
  3. Reggie Smith

Reggie Smith

Will my data not be lost, i fI run the Recovery console? I'm not sure if I have the original XP install disk, but I may. Also, if I tried going into last known good configuration, would that possibly work, does that also go back to previous passwords?

I'm also concerned that maybe I've been locked out due to to many bad login attempts. As I tried many times, is that a concern at this point or if I was locked out due to that, would I get a different message when I tried to log in.

Reggie Smith, Mar 26, 2018
  4. Reggie Smith

Elizabeth23

no, you will not lose any data, if you do not have the install media, you would have to download either Hiren's or a recovery console iso (file is labeled xp_rec_con.iso) and burn either to a cd from a working pc. chkdsk sometimes repairs simple items while checking the drive.

Elizabeth23, Mar 26, 2018
  5. Reggie Smith

Planetoid127

You could try to use ophcrack to obtain the password.

Planetoid127, Mar 29, 2018
    Vineet Garg likes this.
  6. Reggie Smith

Vineet Garg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Vineet Garg, Apr 21, 2018
Ask a Question