Cant intall XP, Blue screen error??

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by L0dgik83, May 14, 2013.

1. L0dgik83

L0dgik83

Hi all.

I am trying and trying to boot a windows xp install from a usb drive using many different tools too make the bootable usb drive. It go`s ok and boots from the usb and seems to work all the setup files are loading at the bottom and then after a bit of loading the files I get a blue screen saying

Now I know this as the BSOD but I have NEVER had it during a install?? Im really lost on what to do here.

Any help would be great, Im going too run Hirens now and see can I find any problems but please if anyone can help il be so greatful

L0dgik83, May 14, 2013
  2. L0dgik83

Elizabeth23

what is the Make, Model and Model number of your pc?

do you have a cd drive?

desktop or laptop?

you say you had to use tools to make pc boot to usb? what tools?

do you have your installation cd?

Last edited: May 14, 2013
    Elizabeth23, May 14, 2013
  3. L0dgik83

L0dgik83

cheers,

Am I can boot into windows now but its a old pc a dell dimension 2400 and I feel a good clean install of XP might help the pc and speed it up a bit, prob loads of junk and stucff I cant get at that has it messed up and so slow.

As to ur qustions I have no CD Drive well I do but it wont boot a cd so I gotta use a USB to make xp boot usb drives iv uses Rufus, Winsetuptousb, wintoflash. Might have been others not sure its been a struggle....

I really just want too solve this problem and get a fresh install of xp on the pc.

Also when I went to boot Hirens there I got a error msg saying BOOTMNG missing, Whats that about? Il google it now but said id ask here too.

L0dgik83, May 14, 2013
  4. L0dgik83

Elizabeth23

what error are you getting from your drive, the 2400 has two drives, switch them if one is not working, I have a 2400 also and knock on wood have not had a problem reinstalling os, I do not use the resource disk though I get the drivers directly from the dell drivers and supports page, which you should do also, enter your express service number and the drivers necessary for your pc will be there.

5. L0dgik83

Elizabeth23

is your bios set to boot from cd? that is one cause of the boot mgr missing.

for the usb, the dell is not made to boot from a usb and I have not tested all the tools that you listed, so therein may lie the problem.

did you check to see if the hiren's was bootable from say a laptop that has the option in the bios?

let me know about the cd drives

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  6. L0dgik83

L0dgik83

This only has 1 hdd and its tiny a smelly 32gb lol but its jjust something im trying to fix up for a mate so..... otherwise I prob wouldnt bother.

On the dell splash screen on boot there are two options 1 is to press F2 To enter setup 2 is F12 to enter Boot Options. Im asked were I would like to boot from and I choose USB it also jhas cd-rom floppy and the hard drive, I choose USB all seems to go okay until I get A BSOD I dunno what the problem is?!?!?!

L0dgik83, May 14, 2013
  7. L0dgik83

Elizabeth23

I am still using my 2400 with the same harddrive, but I run checkdisk regularly, if you have not then the drive might be going bad.

Do not know about usb booting on a 2400, you did not tell me what was wrong with your cd drives?

8. L0dgik83

Elizabeth23

9. L0dgik83

L0dgik83

I dont know whats wrong with the CD drive too be honest! I made a xp install cd and went to boot it but it would not read the cd, it seems the drive is broke and not reading any cd`s.

Im even thinking of trying Linux on it at this stage as I read it rus very well on low ram old pc`s. I dunno I
    want to have XP but nothing is working out for me! If I totaly wipe/nuke the drive and i still get the same error im stuck with a pc with no OS at all.

L0dgik83, May 15, 2013
  10. L0dgik83

Elizabeth23

go to start, right click on My Computer, choose manage, choose device manager, do you see any warning errors on the cd drive, and if so what are they, you might need updated drivers,

at the dell drivers and downloads, input your express service code, and then look under cdrom, is the version of driver the same as the one installed now?

Elizabeth23, May 15, 2013
  11. L0dgik83

TheXpFixer1900

WOW i have the same desktop :D I had the same problem too. the problem is that the ntdetect.com.exe is not loading all drivers, you have to change it to a modified verison.
    the link is in the txt document if you have another computer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    TheXpFixer1900, Jan 9, 2014
  12. L0dgik83

Elizabeth23

for a 2400, insert a bootable flash drive, restart pc, at dell logo press F12, and select one time only to boot from usb.

Elizabeth23, Jan 9, 2014
Ask a Question