Can't install Windows XP 64-bit onto a PC running Linux Mint 17.3 because of Blue ...

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by andrejfavia, Dec 16, 2015.

1. andrejfavia

andrejfavia

Greetings.

I was told to post to XPForums with regard to issues that I am having with getting my Windows XP boot disc to get to the installation screen when booting from disc.

I am trying to re-install Windows XP 64-bit over a copy of Linux (I would like to erase-and-reinstall to prepare the computer for a sale). I want to erase everything on the hard drive and just start fresh.

However, when I boot from the Windows XP 64-bit disc, I cannot get to the installation screen, because I receive the following text (partial transcript) on a blue screen:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down

usbhub.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

0x00000050
    I have tried switching out the memory. That didn't work.
    I tried disconnecting all of my USB hardware and just plugged in an old wired keyboard. That didn't work.
    I do not use Windows and so I have no idea what to do or how to use Windows to fix this.
    I have only the Windows XP 64-bit disc, which, by the way, used to work a few years ago.

The specifications for this computer are located at:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_eLF8j7l3I-UnRqejJNdGo4dnM/view?usp=sharing

Also, around the time that I noticed this problem would start happening, I used to be able to display Linux Mint 17 at 1080p on an external monitor, but then I asked Linux Mint to do an update, and a whole bunch of stuff failed, I have no idea why, I just followed something to update it, but anyway since then, 1080p sometimes works, and sometimes does not work.

Also, I just erased the hard drive by booting from a copy of Linux Mint 17.3 from a USB stick, so I know that I can wipe the OS. But now I cannot seem to get output to my monitor via DVI to work. It's just blank. But VGA works, and if I try to connect both, it crashes.

Also, sometimes the computer boots normally, but other times it will not recognize my keyboard or will not show anything on my monitor after the initial Shift-F10 prompt, but then it will work fine when I get to the login screen. These problems just seem to be random.

Also now I'm having problems even getting the computer to boot from the disc. Just that initial stage was working up until this morning, and now all I get is a blank screen.

I tried posting my question to the Microsoft forum, but no one is answering my questions.

What's going on? How do I just get the Windows boot disc to install windows back on my computer, without the usbhub.sys error message? I don't care if I have to erase the hard drive.

andrejfavia, Dec 16, 2015
  2. andrejfavia

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 16, 2015
  3. andrejfavia

andrejfavia

Yes, Elizabeth23, I have tried doing general internet searches about this problem before I posted to any forums about it. But from the search results that keep coming up, I see that other people are at least able to use their Windows XP boot disc to get to the login screen and erase their hard drive.

A scan of your link tells me that non of these search results seem relevant enough, because when I boot from the Windows XP 64-bit disc, I cannot get to the installation screen. Other people from the search results have posted that they can at least do that, whereas I cannot. Or, other people from the search results have posted that they can boot into safe mode... but under their pre-existing installed copy of XP, whereas I do not have a pre-existing installed copy of XP.

Can you be more specific as to **which search result** is the right one? Because I can't find it.

1. Yes, I have installed this CD successfully on this PC, in the past. As I posted, I have only the Windows XP 64-bit disc, which, by the way, used to work a few years ago.

2. I did not build this PC. I have no idea how to just built my own computers. This one was built for me, but the person who built it has died. As I posted, the specifications for this computer are located at:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_eLF8j7l3I-UnRqejJNdGo4dnM/view?usp=sharing"

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    andrejfavia, Dec 17, 2015
  4. andrejfavia

andrejfavia

Well I was discussing this issue with a colleague who said that the Windows disc might not be able to read the linux file system, and that the linux file system wrote over the ROM. So, we tried resetting the BIOS, but apparently that created new problems, such as not being able to use the keyboard to press a key to boot from the disc, which I just learned, so I followed the directions at

https://esoftwares.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/press-any-key-to-boot-from-cd-doesnt-work/

to re-enable that. Then I found a result for GParted, to partition the disc, so I tried that and I created separate partitions for linux (under file format ext4) and a future partition for Windows (under file format rtfs).

But now I am getting a new error message when I try to boot from the disc:

"Enable the local local advanced programmable interrupt controller (APIC)."

But it didn't tell me how to do that. So, I went online to search for directions, and all I could find was that it might be in the BIOS. So, I found the setting IOAPIC was reset to disabled, so I turned that on, and that cleared the error message.

Finally, I am back to where I started. I have a fresh copy of Linux Mint, and I am trying to boot off the Windows XP disc just to install Windows XP over everything. Last time I got to this stage, it gave me the usbhub.sys error message. Well it still does the same thing, even with a fresh install of Linux Mint and an available NTFS partition, modified BIOS settings.

So, I tried removing the wireless keyboard and mice and replaced it with just a wired keyboard. That didn't work.

Then I tried removing my USB wifi antenna. THAT WORKED!

I don't get it. I *ALREADY TRIED* removing all of my USB hardware except an old wired keyboard before according to my memory, but that didn't work earlier.

Now the other issue that I am having is why DVI does not always work. On Linux Mint, I, for a while, was able to use 1080p through DVI. I can't get 1080p on my 19" monitor without changing the cable to VGA.

5. andrejfavia

andrejfavia

Greetings again.

I do not see a way for me to edit my post a few minutes after I post the option to edit goes away, so I will have to create another post for clarification.

I should clarify that all the resolutions on VGA seem to work, but with DVI, some resolutions cause blue pixely dots on some icons and the display. Could it be my graphics card? If so, then I'm all set with this thread and that will answer my remaining questions at this time.

I have an AMD R480 [Radeon X850 XT]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  6. andrejfavia

Elizabeth23

you can check for an update to your video driver from the manufacturer's website, and look for xp drivers.

Elizabeth23, Dec 18, 2015
Ask a Question