Can't install win xp on HP Compaq d220 mt

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by brjanowich, Oct 14, 2014.

1. brjanowich

brjanowich

I have a HP Compaq d22 MT desktop. I can't seem to install Win XP Pro SP3. I am no noob to computers. I have taken a USB flash drive, made it bootable, put Win XP pro sp3 on it. Used this USB flash drive to install the OS on another computer just to make sure it works and it does! But on my HP it will not install. I have deleted all partitions on a 80 GB hard drive, created a new partition, formatted it NTSF. The files transfer from the USB Flash drive and it starts to install but when it gets to the " starting windows" part in just goes to a blue screen and tells me the death words " windows is shutting down to prevent damage to the operating system " With nothing on the formatted hard drive it can't be a virus or anything and there is no OS to damage yet so I am confused?? I have changed the bios to boot from USB so that's not the problem. I have removed all other hard ware and set bios to " no 3 1/2 floppy ", set the current date, time etc! Any help would be appreciated. Oh I have tired this with 3 different hard drives I have laying around and it does not work, no errors on hard drives, or bad sectors etc. I can only guess its some kind of HP thing?? I do have a computer with Yahoo Messenger to chat live if you think you can help or point me in the right direction. This is posted on October 14th 2014

brjanowich, Oct 14, 2014
  2. brjanowich

Elizabeth23

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Busine...oblem-Installing-XP/td-p/2327155#.VD3azlccRkg

read the above thread, for oem pc's you have to have an oem install.

I have a dell, I could not install a disk from an HP on my dell.

where did you get the xp install from that you are trying to install??

is there anything else in the message??

see below for possible troubleshooting, I need the exact blue screen message, please:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN130053

do you have sata drives?? or ide??

====

below are troubleshooting articles from HP:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/si...ac.admitted=1413340453029.876444892.492883150

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=bph07144

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00372711

Elizabeth23, Oct 15, 2014
  3. brjanowich

brjanowich

Elizabeth, I have spent the last 3 months reading every forum I can find including the ones you posted. The exact error is " STOP: 0x0000007b (0xf7a21524, 0xc0000023, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I know the 0x0000007B code is for an 0x0000007B code (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) but I used the OEM disk that came with the computer, Got the same error trying to run the cd from cd rom. Put it in my other computer, which is older and less powerful, tried wintoflash, rufus, and one other I can't remember to put it on a usb flash drive and all give the same error?? The d220 didn't have a sata option so it is all IDE. I am at a loss. I have tried to load bios defaults, left the battery out for a day, pretty much tried everything I can think of. This is the first computer problem in over 30 yrs I have not been able to fix myself, especially with all that the internet offers now a days in forums and knowledge base information. Also be aware this is all from a hard drive crash so recovery is not an option! All hardware has been removed. I have a fresh 80 gb hard drive formatted ntfs and the flash drive, no floppy, cd or anything! A penny for your thoughts!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    brjanowich, Oct 15, 2014
  4. brjanowich

brjanowich

With my wife being terminally ill I don't have much more time to donate to this problem, but if I can't fix it I will not be purchasing HP computers anymore and that's all I have every had. If this is some kind of oem HP problem I would rather get a way from them so I don't ever have it in the future. I am in Florida but know a company in Ohio I dealt with when I had my business, Pony Computers, if they are still there I may just order a self build computer with them that does not require any fancy oem specs! I have tried 3 different HP oem ISO images I downloaded from the internet too! Tried everything except one with sp1 which I can not seem to find. I think my original oem disk maybe sp1 but I am not sure. As the disk that came with computer did not seem to work I got rid of it last week. I don't keep useless stuff laying around.

brjanowich, Oct 15, 2014
  5. brjanowich

brjanowich

Also to all others who may try and help, don't offer any forums or things to look at unless they are newer than Oct 14th 2014 as I have seen them all in the past months and none of them helped! A simple " I don't know " will suffice instead of suggesting something I have looked at 3 or 4 times already, also please stay on topic, this isn't a dell, windows vista, linux or a mac!

brjanowich, Oct 15, 2014
  6. brjanowich

Elizabeth23

your issue may be the iso image downloaded from the internet, there are no legal iso downloads, so you might want to contact HP and purchase a recovery disk for a hewlettpackard.

Since you have tried everything else, that is all I have to offer. Sorry.

7. brjanowich

brjanowich

Don't know what a recovery disk will do for me as I said this is from a hard drive crash so recovery is not an option! I see no point in paying for something twice either! And as far as legal issues the last iso image I had on my flash drive installed in 2 other computers which also had the original license stickers on them and was not a problem! As windows no longer supports XP anyway I don't think legal issues apply anymore, unless your profiting from it in some way! I have temporarily solved the problem by loading windows 95 c on it. I have those original disks too and since XP does not seem to work I will go with something that does! All I needed was internet for facebook and email for my wife to stay in contact with family, friends and doctors.

brjanowich, Oct 15, 2014
  8. brjanowich

brjanowich

Also take not that I had the original xp cd that came with the computer which also gave the same error. It wasn't a download copy, burned copy, it came with the computer when I purchased it. Don't know what purchasing another copy of the disk I already have will do other than cost me money and give me two that don't work? Like I said, I have spent many days in the last 3 months looking at every option and none have worked. I am not lazy, new to computers, or have limited knowledge. This is the first computer problem I have not been able to solve on my own and I am not exactly young anymore. Thought maybe it was a motherboard problem until I was able to load windows 95 C and it runs fine with that. Had to install the HP drivers and such but seems fine and running on the internet! Better than confusing things more with Win 7 or 8! Technology can be a very evil thing.

brjanowich, Oct 15, 2014
  9. brjanowich

brjanowich

As my usb flash install has worked on other HP computers, ( HP laptop, and a pavilion) this must be a problem with the specific d220 MT system. Anyway like I said 95 c is fine for this application. If I had my way I would go back to windows 3.1 and dos just to get rid of the BS.

brjanowich, Oct 15, 2014
  10. brjanowich

brjanowich

Elizabeth. Thank you for pointing me to a bunch of standard links for HP problems but like I said I had already looked at all the links I could find. I simple " I don't know " or no comment at all would have been better than pointing out obvious links that anyone with a problem should have already looked at. Maybe you missed the part in the original post where I said I am not new to computers and the next post that states this is the first problem in 30 yrs I have not been able to solve myself! Also the part about having the original cd that came with the computer since you suggest I contact HP and purchase one. I have to ask did you even read my original post? It's always nice to know when someone inquires about apples there are many people who can tell them about bananas but this topic started off pretty specific! You asked for the error message, which most do, but like most you don't have clue what it means either. At least I know it is about an inaccessible device! Please don't ask what kind of car I drive next. It is always easy to try and help someone out by sending them to others work and links but when someone states they have a problem that is not a common one, pointing them to links for common problems just doesn't make any sense! I consider this topic closed because I put 95 c on the computer and I don't think any of the " senior " members here have the knowledge I am looking for. I figured because I have read every topic and forum I can find on the subject I would not get an answer here. I wasn't looking for someone to google my problem and point me to the links. I am well able to do that on my own and it has not worked so far!

brjanowich, Oct 15, 2014
  11. brjanowich

Elizabeth23

I do not know, there I said it, I would say it is a hardware issue, but I do not know what issue, you say you know the links and can research your stop code from your error, if that does not help, then I would suggest going straight to HP and their support forums, which may have more knowledge to your specific hp product. Good Luck. :)

==

12. brjanowich

brjanowich

While I understand this person is trying to help, it is a perfect example of why I said stay on track with the problem! Hp no longer offers the recovery disks I am trying to find, so why point me there? I already have the original recovery disks from HP as stated so why contact HP to buy another set? It's like pulling up to someone broke down on the road and saying " I know what your problem is.....your broke down !!!!! " If it doesn't deal with installing from a USB flash drive it is not about the problem I am asking. I know there are other solutions, I have tried them and they didn't work! I guess maybe I just expect too much from a senior member. I have started a new topic as this one is so far off track! Please actually read it before commenting. I didn't really expect to find anyone knowledgeable enough to actually help on any forum. It was just a last ditch effort. I think my best option is to get XP back instead of 95 c is to find someone with same model computer that is working and clone the disk. Don't say it won't work unless you have tried because I cloned a gateway once and it worked on my other HP that is the same model as the one I am trying to load XP on. Got lucky with the bios there, but that computer has since died. I had a clone drive of this one too at one time but I think I loaned it out and it never found it's way home. Seems like you missed the part where I said I have looked at all the hp links already so I guess I will say it again! Heck I can pretty much tell you what ever computer problem you have with any computer, try their website! It's not rocket science! :)

brjanowich, Oct 15, 2014
Ask a Question