Can't install software

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by skivelitis, Feb 16, 2016.

1. skivelitis

skivelitis

Was recently given an old Dell Optiplex GX620 with Windows XP SP2 that was newly installed. Windows activation went fine and was somehow able to download and install Firefox and update to 44.0.2 and also Panda Anti-virus free. I can get no other software to install. Disabled Panda (which showed no items blocked anyway) amd even uninstalled with no results. Cannot install MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner,etc.. Have tried downloading to downloads, desktop, documents, nothing works. Even tried to run directly from the download arrow in Firefox. Got the linkfile and xp_exe files from DougKnox to run and still no go. Fixit troubleshooter shows error code 80072F8F. Was not given the XP disks with computer.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    skivelitis, Feb 16, 2016
  2. skivelitis

Elizabeth23

you have to install sp3, before all of this.

download to a flash drive and see if you can get it to install, can you install anything in safe mode with or without networking??

that error is saying the the time/date is not correct.

Elizabeth23, Feb 16, 2016
  3. skivelitis

skivelitis

After 4 different attempts from 4 different websites, finally got a copy of SP3 to install. It was the Softonic version. A very preliminary analysis is all seems to be working now. Thanks so much for the quick reply and accurate help!:)

skivelitis, Feb 16, 2016
  4. skivelitis

Elizabeth23

I should have given you a link to the official microsoft download, sorry, should be 316mb was this the amount of your download??

the download should be okay , most of softonic are. as long as no extra stuff got installed with it, please look at each page before clicking next and remove checkmarks from any extra software.

I would also run checkdisk:

if you do not have Recovery Console installed, then run from the start menu

go to start, run, type in cmd

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter

type Y for yes and press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, allow checkdisk to finish and run again
    this is a lengthy process depending on the size of your harddrive, the percentages will fluctuate, this is normal, you can view report in the event viewer.
    go to start>run> and type in eventvwr.msc, click on the applications directory, and in the right hand panel choose winlogon.
    --------------------- :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Feb 16, 2016
  5. skivelitis

skivelitis

All of the sp3"s I downloaded were 316mb and had identical file names but only the softonic one actually ran. As of this writing, I am on Microsoft update no. 100 or so. All program installations have gone flawlessly since SP3. That did the trick! After I get XP fully updated, I'll run Hard Disk Sentinel Pro, Prime 95, and others to give it good shakedown.

skivelitis, Feb 17, 2016
  6. skivelitis

Elizabeth23

okey dokey, let me know if you have further questions.

Elizabeth23, Feb 17, 2016
Ask a Question