Can't install Office on re-installed XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by DavidP, Apr 21, 2018.

1. DavidP

DavidP

Hi Elizabeth, read thru your extensive discussions with Janice about re-installing XP.Wish I had found you guys before I re-installed my XP. As you would expect, I had many problems, but I had backed up my data files to another computer. At any rate, It's now working, Most drivers downloaded. I've got a new problem. When I try to install Office 2000, I go a message that said "we can't verify your license" and it stopped, twice. I've owned this Office CD for many years, and installed it on quite a few PC's thru the years, without problems. I then bought a new CR from a reliable provider on eBay. Same results, with new message that I should consult with my IT Mgr.

Any suggestions?

DavidP, Apr 21, 2018
  2. DavidP

Elizabeth23

do you have your original and the product key?

I have my original office 2003 with the key on the case, if you did not extract the key before you reinstalled your os, I am not sure how you can reinstall the program, if this is not feasible then install wps office

Elizabeth23, Apr 21, 2018
  3. DavidP

DavidP

Yes, I have the product keys for both CDs

DavidP, Apr 22, 2018
  4. DavidP

DavidP

BTW, here is the actual error message received when I tried them both again:
    "Error 1406: Could not value installed to key\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\optionalcomponents\msfs
    Verify that you have sufficent access tothat key, or contact your support personnel."

DavidP, Apr 22, 2018
  5. DavidP

Elizabeth23

what version of windows installer is on your pc , the latest is version 4.5 download here and install on your pc. above error supposedly comes from an old version of installer as per this microsoft knowledgebase article

to check your version go to run and type in msiexec this will say the version installed

Elizabeth23, Apr 22, 2018
  6. DavidP

Phần mềm

Thanks your share

Phần mềm, Apr 24, 2018
  7. DavidP

DavidP

Well, I checked my windows installer. I was "V 4.5.6001.22159". Tried again, install didn't work.
    Thought maybe it was corrupted or something, so, down loaded as you suggested.

Same result, same message. ??? I'll check to make sure i downloaded correct thing.

DavidP, Apr 24, 2018
  8. DavidP

DavidP

DavidP, Apr 24, 2018
  9. DavidP

DavidP

I double checked, there is only one XP installer, the same one I downloaded. Deleted Office folder from directory. Tried both CDs again. Same message same result. Any ideas???

DavidP, Apr 24, 2018
  10. DavidP

DavidP

Would it make sense to delete the installer, and download again?

DavidP, Apr 24, 2018
  11. DavidP

Elizabeth23

if it was the installer you would not be able to install anything at all.

I am at a loss right now, cannot see the issue, are you sure your install cds have not become corrupted somehow? are you able to install them on a different pc, if you can find one to test. :) let me do some more research to see what I can find.

below link try 3 methods, the fourth method is for a fixit that is no longer available.

https://www.techcrises.com/how-to/how-to-fix-windows-error-1406-while-installing-software-fixed/

THIS search page has lots of hits for the 1406 error, please read through several threads.

Elizabeth23, Apr 24, 2018
  12. DavidP

DavidP

Well, I did your msconfig things, and it wasn't working. Turns out, even though login kept telling I had "administrative functions", and there was no admin login, I decided to try Safe Mod. In that I was able to complete the msconfig changes, to no avail. Later, I ran "Fixit", also to no avail. All it fixed were a couple of minor things, and the install failed again.

Unless, you, or some other reader, have sone additional ideas, I'm going to give up on Office and download WPS.

Thanks for all your time and ideas. I suspect I could only fix it if I re-installed XP and started over again. I just don't have the energy or patience for that. Thanks again,

Larry Stanford

DavidP, Apr 25, 2018
  13. DavidP

Elizabeth23

okay, sorry could not help, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 25, 2018
Ask a Question