can't install new Hp Office Jet 3830

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Grambo, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Grambo

Grambo

My Cd/DVD drive does not work so I cant install my new HP Office Jet all in one 3830 printer. I went to the HP website but they dont support xp 32 bit. Can anybody help? FYI, Im a great grandma and not to techy

Grambo, Jun 13, 2018
  2. Grambo

Elizabeth23

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...l-in-one-printer-series/7172321/model/7172322

above is the page for this download, for xp 32bit, you can get to this page by typing in the following to your search engine:

download install software for HP Officejet all in one 3830 printer

then I went to this page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...l-in-one-printer-series/7172321/model/7172322

choose version (windows) choose xp 32 bit, then hit Change, and the download page should appear, then download to your desktop or download folder and then you can install.

Elizabeth23, Jun 13, 2018
  3. Grambo

Grambo

Thank you for replying Elizabeth 23. I followed your directions and downloaded it. It took about 7 minutes. But when I clicked on the download, it popped up with a message that said are you sure you want to launch ...I clicked ok, but it doesn't open. Back story, I was following a YouTube video to try and clean up the computer (it froze up contently) and whatever I did completely wiped out all my 15 years of files.. So I've lost files that make things work. Im also trying to load my Malwarebytes back on and talking to someone there and had to download net framework and Windows imaging component. Which I have no idea what those are. So I'm thinking something is gone that lets these files open. Im weary. Grambo

Grambo, Jun 13, 2018
  4. Grambo

Elizabeth23

you might have to go to either geeks to go forum or bleeping computer forum to have your computer checked for malware, it is time consuming if you cannot reinstall the entire os, you might do a search for a file by name, as it may have been moved to a different folder. and you might need to run a .exe file fix

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

scroll down to the .exe fix, download and run, should be a registry file and all you should have to do is double click.

let me know if this fixes the problem with opening the printer software.

5. Grambo

Grambo

okay, did the .exe fix , restarted the computer, clicked on the hp file that was downloaded, it looked like it was downloading, but than nothing happened.

Grambo, Jun 13, 2018
  6. Grambo

Elizabeth23

is the hp file a .zip file? then you would have to extract the files first.

look in event viewer, are there any errors generated at the time you attempted to run the printer software?

7. Grambo

Grambo

Where would I find the event viewer. Its not a zip file.

Grambo, Jun 13, 2018
  8. Grambo

Elizabeth23

start/ control panel/ administrative tools/ event viewer

in event viewer right click on each directory (left side panel) and choose clear all events, save or not your choice, then once directories are all clear, attempt to open the HP download and if nothing happens then you can check the event viewer to see if an error occurred. if one did, then double click on the error, in the resulting dialog box on the right hand side, third icon down , click it, this copies item to clipboard, then next open up a reply box here at the forum and right click in the open space and choose paste, this will let me look at a copy of the error.

9. Grambo

Grambo

Grambo, Jun 16, 2018
  10. Grambo

Grambo

Thanks for all your help Elizabeth, I was finally able to install my printer. Thank you so much.

Grambo, Jun 16, 2018
  11. Grambo

Elizabeth23

Ok, good work, :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 17, 2018
Ask a Question