Can't get past logon screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by TonyWilliams, Dec 11, 2014.

1. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams

I am clearing out my laptop so that I can give it to someone else. I thought I'd deleted my user name and there was just an Administrator account. I was trying to remove the CTRL Alt Delete screen and I thought I had done that.

However when I boot my machine I get the CTRL ALT DELETE logon screen and I can't logon. I've tried using my old logon details and used "Administrator" as the user with a blank password and the old password but I still get the error message that the logon details are incorrect.

I really need help now, How do I get rid on the logon screen when I can't logon at all now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Tony

TonyWilliams, Dec 11, 2014
  2. TonyWilliams

Elizabeth23

can you go into safe mode as administrator??

if so create two new computer administrator accounts without passwords, and then you will be able to delete the old accounts and their files, however whenever you give a pc away the best thing to do is wipe the drive and reinstall a new os.

Elizabeth23, Dec 11, 2014
  3. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams

Hi Elizabeth, I've tried going through Safe Mode as Administrator but the same thing happens. Is there some way I can start in command mode and edit the user?
    Tony

4. TonyWilliams

Elizabeth23

http://bertk.mvps.org/

how to use system restore in command prompt, to a point where you could log in

==

Hacking Windows XP Login Password

1. Restart your computer and keep pressing F8.

2. From the menu, select boot in safe mode with command prompt.

3. once you’re at the command prompt, type “net users” (without quotes)

4. You will see a list of usernames. Pick the username that you are using and type “net users username *” (without quotes, replace username with a real username from that username list)

5. You will be asked to enter a new password and a second reconfirmation.

6. Press enter and you will be told that your username password has been changed successfully.

Easy, wasn’t it?

above from here

==

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1643&page=2

info on safe modes

5. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams

Thanks Elizabeth but I tried loading safemode with command prompt but the CTRL ALT DELETE box appeared and asked for a password and failed no matter what I tried?Is there a way to boot to command mode without going through windows?
    Tony

6. TonyWilliams

Elizabeth23

you would either have to go through a linux cd or hiren's boot cd using minixp:

Courtesy of Jose Ibarra
    Make yourself a Hiren's Boot CD which you can download from here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

The ZIP file is large, so the download will probably take a little while to complete bit it is worth it. Then unzip the download to extract the Hirens.BootCD.ISO file that will be used to create your new bootable CD.

Creating a bootable CD from a .ISO file is not the same as just copying the .ISO file to a blank CD. You have to use software that understands how to burn a .ISO file to a CD to create a bootable CD.

In the Hiren's ZIP file are the BurnToCD.cmd file that you can double click to launch it, but I have never used it and prefer to use ImgBurn.

If you need a free and easy CD burning software package, here is a popular free program:

http://www.imgburn.com/

When installing ImgBurn, DO NOT install anything from UniBlue or the Ask toolbar (never install the ASK toolbar for anything).

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your new bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk.

These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When booting on the Hiren's CD you will see a menu of options. Choose the Mini XP option. Then it will appear that Windows is being loaded and you will be presented with a desktop that has the look and feel of the Windows Explorer interface you are already used to using.

One way to check the disk for errors is to open My Computer and right click your afflicted drive and choose Properties, Tools, Error-checking, Check Now... put a check mark in both the boxes and then Start.

Sometimes that doesn't work, so you can also click Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK to open a Command Prompt window and enter the following command (assuming XP is installed on your C drive)

chkdsk c: /r

This disk checking can take a long time (perhaps several to many hours) depending on the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what the disk checking finds to do.
    Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find.

Depending on the the speed of your system, the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume and what chkdsk finds to do, it may take a long time for chkdsk with error correction to complete (several to many hours) or it may appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the HDD light is still flashing, chkdsk is doing something so don't interrupt it. It will finish eventually one way or the other. Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress. It may even appear to go backwards sometimes.

You may have to run the chkdsk c: /r more than once.

===========

these are my notes for hiren's, you can boot to the mini xp desktop and access the drive that way, and from there attempt to change the passwords or revert to a system restore point that was good.

7. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams

Thanks Elizabeth but I can't see any reference to getting past the password screen here. Sorry it's getting late here in the UK and my 70 year old brain is slowing down at this time of night?
    Tony

8. TonyWilliams

Elizabeth23

ok, when you get to the minixp desktop you will be able to access the user accounts, create an account on your drive and then restart and log into the new account to edit the other accounts.

will check back later after you wake up, :)

9. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams

Sorry, it's me again. I went onto the Hirens site from that link and all I seem to get is download buttons for a load of rubbish addons?
    Is there a link direct to the Hirens setup download?
    Tony

10. TonyWilliams

Elizabeth23

[​IMG]

when you go to that link scroll down to the above picture and click on that, if you do not have adblockers installed then you will undoubtedly get lots of ads, you should install adfender or/and adblock plus.

hirens is a very large file. You can see the download contents

11. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams

Good morning Elizabeth. My apologies for the jumbled messages last night.

This morning I thought I had success. I downloaded Hiren's burned it onto a dvd and tried it out first on my desktop and it worked fine. Great! I thought. So I put it in the dvd drive of the laptop and it wouldn't boot from the dvd drive although other dvds have. I made sure the BIOS was set to boot from the DVD drive but still no luck. I tried a usb portable dvd drive and that didn't work either.

This is so frustrating. I explored Hiren's and found just the program that I think would solve my password problem, only to be scuppered again by the laptop. I don't suppose you have any ideas why this wouldn't work do you?

Many, many thanks for your help and patience.
    Tony

TonyWilliams, Dec 12, 2014
  12. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams

Hi Elizabeth, my apologies for some of the garbled messages yesterday!

I thought I had won this morning. I downloaded Hiren's, burned it to a dvd and tried it in my desktop. It worked fine, I was impressed with the content and found a program that I think would solve my problem.

However I couldn't get it to boot the laptop. I made sure the BIOS was set for DVD drive bootup, I tried another DVD Drive. I tried other dvds and they loaded fine.

So feeling somewhat elated at having found a possible solution, I was scuppered at the final hurdle by the laptop!

I don't suppose you've any idea why the dvd wont boot?

Many, many thanks for your help and patience.
    Tony

13. TonyWilliams

Elizabeth23

the cd will boot from your desktop but not your laptop??

is the dvd drive internal or external on the laptop??

when you set the bios on the laptop, is the dvd drive recognized under the proper drive letter??

does it recognize it as removable media or as a dvd drive??

Elizabeth23, Dec 12, 2014
  14. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams

Hi Elizabeth.

Yes the dvd will boot from my desktop.

The dvd drive is an external drive. The drive light lights up when the laptop starts.

There's nowhere in the BIOS that appears to give it a drive letter. This is a Dell Latitude and the Bios information looks pretty limited compared to that of my desktop.

The BIOS recognises it as an external drive and describes it as a "CD-RW/DVD Combo"

Does that help?
    Tony

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  15. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams

SUCCESS!!!!! I burned the image to a usb stick instead of a dvd and it all worked fine!

Thanks again Elizabeth for all your help, guidance and patience.
    Regards and have a great festive season.:)

16. TonyWilliams

Elizabeth23

great, I was going to suggest a flash drive, if there are future probs, let me know and I will try to help

Elizabeth23, Dec 12, 2014
Ask a Question