Cant Find Right Video Setting

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by cornemuse, May 13, 2022.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

I've had this computer sitting around for several years. Was free! Turned out it just needed a good power supply. Who I got it from ALWAYS removed HDD's.
    Anyways, I installed XP Media Center Edition. Mobo is ECS 945GCT. Installed drivers including video.

The screen is 'shifted' off center. & I cant find any settings (from video settings) to get it centered on the monitor.
    Very aggravating!

It is 'Intel Graphics' settings, and, the only Intel based computer I have.

Ideas??

-corne-

cornemuse, May 13, 2022
  2. cornemuse

MisterEd

I'm not using integrated graphics but can you see the video settings like this? You might have to try a different resolution and/or refresh rate.

Display Properties > Settings tab
    Advanced button > Monitor tab
    2022-05-13 19_58_26-Greenshot #2.jpg

Attached Files:

MisterEd, May 14, 2022
  3. cornemuse

cornemuse

No, I get the graphics settings box which is installed when the drivers (intel) get installed.

Well, I get the [above], yeah, but that does not address the issue.

cornemuse, May 14, 2022
  4. cornemuse

Samir

If you install the Intel graphics drivers, they come with an application in the tray that should have a setting for moving the picture around in the screen. You also may need to play with your monitor settings.

Samir, May 14, 2022
  5. cornemuse

j896

I Dont know if this will help or not worth a try i guess. Go to control panel . Display . Desktop and set position to stretch...

j896, May 16, 2022
  6. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

https://www.technipages.com/bring-off-screen-window-back-onto-screen

is it a window or the whole desktop? see above for a window

I believe if you take your "cursor" and hover it over on the line of your desk top and the black area the cursor will take a "horizontal" shape and when you accomplish this left click(hold it down while moving the horizontal cursor) and drag the desk top (with the cursor in horizontal shape) to the right to fill in black area. This will widen the screen to the right. Now....if you can do the same on the left side and drag it to the left, you should see the words or whatever you are looking for to reappear.

All you are basically doing is stretching the screen to the left or the right using your cursor and left clicking and holding the left side down while moving the cursor to widen or shorten the screen etc.

below link is where above was taken.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...f-centre/8b432541-8436-4908-a327-842445a20231

does not say for xp but you might see if the solutions will work for xp

Elizabeth23, May 17, 2022
  7. cornemuse

MisterEd

I have had computers for over 40 years and have never had to resize or stretch any desktop as long I had the correct driver. If you have the correct and most recent driver installed there should be no problem with that. Then you have to use a monitor that supports the video capabilities of your integrated graphics.

Go into the Windows XP Display Properties and post what your options are.

For example, here are the display options for my computer.
    Note:I have switched to using integrated graphics to simply my options.

Motherboard: ASUS A7V400-MX
    Integrated Graphics: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
    Monitor: Gateway FPD 1520 - LCD - 15"
    2022-05-17 14_21_26-Document5 - Word.jpg

This information is based on what I found in Windows XP Display Properties.

VGA1.jpg
    VGA2.jpg

MisterEd, May 17, 2022
  8. cornemuse

Samir

Later monitors provided adjustment for the picture--size, width, position, keystone and more. The original 640x480 vga and lower standards didn't have these adjustments but as the resolutions went up to 1024x768 and beyond, they were available on the monitor.

Modern graphics cards (in particular the Intel one mentioned in this thread) also have these same adjustments on the card side, and some of them had hotkeys that were easily triggered by accident (like the portrait mode shortcut that always messed people up in this era). Beween the monitors adjustment and the video card, it's was easier to make a mess than get a proper picture.

Samir, May 18, 2022
  9. cornemuse

ClippyBeer

Samir is right - check your monitor it should have some buttons that access a menu full of adjustments like width, height and position or even auto-adjust.

[​IMG]

ClippyBeer, May 18, 2022
  10. cornemuse

cornemuse

Has the same in quick launch as in display properties/monitor/properties.
    I was fiddling with settings & clicked a box which instantly set monitor to proper orientation.
    Shoulda 'print-scrn'ed' it! Went back in & for the life of me, I cannot find it again!

What I am using this computer for is: I have about 20 lbs. of old & oold IDE hdds up to 500 gig, and accessing them with usb is mighty slow. Been storing 'stuff' for 15-20 years on them.
    I left the side case cover off & can plug the pata wide ribbon connector + molux power to old hdd. I installed a swappable drive bay tray, (accepts 2½ & 3½ sata hdds), and am in the process of transfering data to sata.
    Have it off by itself, begin data transfer & turn off the monitor, look occaionally for flashing lights.

Have hdds from 30 gigs to 500, bunch of 2½" ides smallest is 816 "megs" < toshiba! 18 yrs old --- 16gig fujitsu 22 yrs old!---16.5g IBM made in Hungary 23 yrs old! I just keep these 'cause of age & capacity.

I have found some really interesting stuff I forgot I had! Humor, music, docs, Gutenburg books, etc.

Anyways,
    -c-

cornemuse, May 18, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
Ask a Question