Cant find Administrator! (XP Pro 32)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by cornemuse, Jun 2, 2016.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

I recently did a full, clean install of XP-P 32 on another computer.

I did NOT create a password on install. Never have.

After a few days (on & off), I got it 'tweaked to the way I like Windows setup.

I went in to 'Control Panel/User accounts/Create a new account', & created a new account with administrator privileges. With password. (<- mistake, I think)

Now, I cannot find my original, first, when I installed/setup the new installation.

The account is there in 'documents and settings', name (A) listed there, 'Desktop' shows my desptop shortcut icons. I just cant figure out how to get this account going again, I dont know what to do.

The only names in 'User accounts' are the newly created admin account and guest acct. (guest acct is disabled).

(I use 'Tweakui' to logon automatically, bypassing password.)

Any ideas?

-corne-

cornemuse, Jun 2, 2016
  2. cornemuse

Touko White

You can't get into Administrator unless you use Safe Mode, you can display it on the user list with some registry hacking unless you're using SP3, however.

Touko White, Jun 4, 2016
  3. cornemuse

cornemuse

I have not 'logged on' in safe mode intentionally in many a year.
    This particular computer I recieved with about 2 dozen others (old + older laptops & desktops) this one is w/ asus mobo, including I found the asus drivers/etc disk. Mobo has 6 sata ports (<- my biggest craving!) & good for 4 ide drives (2x2) Even came with an internal 100 meg 'Zip' drive.
    The hdd is 80 gigs I had set it up the way I like things (XPP natch) & then could clone it to newer/bigger hdd. (have 15-20 hdds, new & old) Already did this with XPP64 bit, screwed up with 32 bit install.
    Might be easier to just reinstall XP. I have a 'new install' dvd with everything I want burned to it, , , ,

-c-

cornemuse, Jun 5, 2016
  4. cornemuse

Touko White

Nice find, don't come across many of that type of drive, they were apparently a lot better than old floppies and never caught on properly, did they? -_-

You should re-install it, not sure what stuff might be on it or such like personal things I guess.

Touko White, Jun 5, 2016
  5. cornemuse

cornemuse

Well, I re-installed XP-32 yesterday. Most everything is ok, but, I have no 'notification area' (other than the clock).R-click on task bar shows notification area 'greyed out', unable to customize it. Cant find anything I might have done to cause this (various tweaks)

Ideas??

Every time I have installed XP, from the same CD even, the install is different, small diffs, but diffs nonetheless. This happen to anybody else??

cornemuse, Jun 9, 2016
  6. cornemuse

Touko White

I've never had that happen, maybe there's just nothing to show in the notification bar, or something like that.
    Dunno why it should happen, I'm guessing you installed drivers and stuff, and that would normally make that kind of thing to working.

Touko White, Jun 9, 2016
  7. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

I have reinstalled several times and have never had my install be different from the last install, I would be seriously looking at that cd and maybe making another one, :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 9, 2016
  8. cornemuse

Touko White

I have a clean ISO too and there's no problem with that in VirtualBox so I think it's a problem with the disc.

Touko White, Jun 10, 2016
  9. cornemuse

cornemuse

I goofed, I installed Tweakui & accidently unchecked to show notification area, , ,

I feel like an idiot.

-corne-

cornemuse, Jun 11, 2016
  10. cornemuse

Touko White

Nah it's a simple mistake, we all make them so don't worry ^^

Touko White, Jun 11, 2016
  11. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

don't feel too bad, I once called maintenance to the communications center because my encryption machine was not working.

It was unplugged!! :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 11, 2016
  12. cornemuse

Touko White

We should turn this into an 'embarrassing tech mistakes thread' or something now ^^
    I can't think of anything specific at the top of my head though!

Touko White, Jun 11, 2016
  13. cornemuse

cornemuse

That is why I feel like an idiot!!

cornemuse, Jun 11, 2016
Ask a Question