Can't boot windows, can't repair console

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by angry.pidgeon, Jun 17, 2019.

1. angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

1. If I try to boot I get error while loading windows xp sp3:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):\SystemRoot\System32\catalog\SECURITY or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable

2. If I try to install another over, I get an error like:

Setup cannot load the keyboard layout file Kbdus.dll. Setup cannot continue. Shut down or restart your computer.

3. I installed repair console booting with mini xp from hired cd on bootable usb, I get the error from the pics attached

chkdsk shows 0 bad sectors, windows 7 reported nothing wrong

Anyone knows how to fix this? The issue is that I had everything set up in xp so I want to repair it. I installed windows 7 in dual boot on another partition, but still rather use my old xp because of old laptop

Thank you

Attached Files:

angry.pidgeon, Jun 17, 2019
  2. angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

I may have a bad sector on the SECURITY file in system32/config. I trked opening it in notepad and I got BSOD. Can this be fixed, like starting an xp install from windows 7, fixing the bad sector and reinstalling those file somehow? Something else?

P.S. Was looking at this article that led me to look at those files:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

3. angry.pidgeon

Computer semi-expert

Note: Elizabeth23 gets credit for the following.

How to do a Manual SYSTEM RESTORE in XP

A. Connect your non-bootable hard drive to another computer, as a secondary drive or use a usb adapter or enclosure, If you can see your data on the drive, back it up Now, then follow the rest of these instructions.

B. Open Windows Explorer. Click on Tools|Folder Options|View. Check the box beside "Show hidden files and folders". Apply your change.

NOTE D: may not represent the hard drive you connected to your PC, it may be E: or F: or G:, it all depends on how many other drives (including cd/dvd) you have in your host PC, So substitute the appropriate drive letter in the instructions below.

C. Navigate to the D:\System Volume Information folder. You will see a folder named something like _restore{.........} the dots represent an alpha-numeric sequence.

In this folder you will see folders named RP0....RPnn. Find the one with the highest number.

These are your System Restore points. In the highest numbered folder you will see a folder named snapshot. In this folder are registry hive files which you need to recover your system:

_registry_user_.default

_registry_machine_security

_registry_machine_software

_registry_machine_system

_registry_machine_sam

D. Create a subdirectory; i.e, D:\Windows\TMP. Copy these files to the TMP subdirectory. Rename them to:

SECURITY

software

system

SAM

Note Be sure to lose the period (.) in the file named _registry_user_.default

E. Delete the files in the D:\windows\system32\config subdirectory with the same short names.

F. Copy the D:\windows\tmp files to the D:\windows\system32\config. subdirectory.

G.Put your drive back in its original system. Your system should start normally. If you get the same error repeat the procedure and choose another folder ( RPnn) (next highest number). You can repeat this procedure choosing lower RPnn numbers until you get it booting again.

If you are denied access to any folders you will have to take "Ownership" of the folders first. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

If this procedure fails to work you need to repair or reinstall Windows.

Computer semi-expert, Jun 17, 2019
    angry.pidgeon likes this.
  4. angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

That would work if I didn't disable system restore a looong time ago. Probably have 0 restore points, but will look

cleverscreenname likes this.
  5. angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

Didn't work. Tried with 3 different files. The error is the same (attached screenshot from a movie, because it happens very fast)

Somehow I have a lot of restores although I don't remember having it enabled

Isn't there any software that scans and fixes windows xp?

Attached Files:

angry.pidgeon, Jun 18, 2019
  6. angry.pidgeon

Computer semi-expert

Go to https://www.hirensbootcd.org/old-versions/ and download Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 (click the link next to Filename at the top of the page). Extract the files from the ZIP archive and burn the .ISO file to a CD (try the ImgBurn program if you aren't sure how to do it). Boot to the CD and select Mini Windows XP from the menu using your keyboard. When Mini XP loads, you will see an icon in the notification area with a bubble that says Hiren's Boot CD menu. Click the icon and select the Registry submenu. Use ERUNT to back up the registry. Then either use Registry Restore Wizard 1.0.4 to do System Restore or use Glary to repair the registry.

Hope this helps!

Computer semi-expert, Jun 18, 2019
  7. angry.pidgeon

Elizabeth23

You can use and xp install cd to copy your registry over from an older version. If system restore was not enabled you can copy a stock registry from the CD(doesn't matter if its OEM or Retail) but it will be like a fresh machine. You'll have to reinstall all your programs, etc. I recommend trying a chkdsk /f or /r first. It most likely won't work but it might.

can you run chkdsk with the /r parameter?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

cannot remember but doesn't hirens have a registry repair? of course with no restore points you might just do a reinstall, you can also remove the hdd, attach with usb to another pc and get your data and/or run a fix errors scan by right clicking on the drive icon / go to tools/ error checking

Elizabeth23, Jun 18, 2019
  8. angry.pidgeon

Computer semi-expert

Hiren's Boot CD has a registry repair tool, Glary. This goes for the old version (15.2). I'm not sure about the new version.

Computer semi-expert, Jun 18, 2019
  9. angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

Well, the BSOD during xp load changed to noname and something so fast I can barely catch a screenshot (attached). I will try last restore files before incident one more time, see if the error changes, if registry error again try fix, if not backup everything and scan HDD for bad sectors. Normal chkdsk didn't indicate bad sectors, but they are suspected since the hdd is 10 years old

Can I successfully scan for bad sectors while booting from the same HDD (different partition), or should I boot from Hiren boot cd usb and scan?

Attached Files:

angry.pidgeon, Jun 19, 2019
  10. angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

Nope, registry error went away when I deleted defective system files, logs included, and the attached screenshot errors appear instead.

EDIT: according to google stop on 007B bsod error has a lot of solutions, depending on the real problem:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/neosmart.net/wiki/0x0000007b/amp/

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-stop-0x0000007b-errors-2624109

etc.

also chkdsk ended, seems it's not a hardware problem. No viruses detected yet (besides those in hiren boot cd minixp :)
    ENDEDIT

THINK WINDOWS XP BOOT
    DOESN'T RECOGNIZE DUAL BOOT NOW SOMEHOW?

Testing Mbr checks out ok, partition ok, disk check ok (EDIT:m have scanned the wrong partition, thought it was too fast :), actually scanned the usb stick, now scanning the proper one. ENDEDIT), mem check ok...

Have a feeling can't win this one. If no bad sectors it was either virus or malicious hack most probably. What else can it be, since even the windows repair console throws that bsod?

P.S. This windows was installed in 2010, proving reinstalling windows advice was hooey

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  11. angry.pidgeon

Elizabeth23

I am not familiar with dual boot, so the normal procedures I know of may not work, maybe someone else familiar with dual boot may be able to help.

Elizabeth23, Jun 19, 2019
  12. angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

Solved! HAAALELUYAH!

I loaded bios setup defaults, then changed hdd from acpi to ide mode, and loaded last known configuration that worked (which didn't before). It's the hdd mode change that worked

Will post tomorrow the link (it's in my windows 7) that inspired me as now I'm too tired. Curious why it worked and what happened...

P.S. Actually had system restore running. Guess I was wiser than I know

Also, I get to run this windows xp 10 more years then I'll call Guiness book

13. angry.pidgeon

Elizabeth23

good work, instead of system restore , you should run ERUNT for xp, quicker and more reliable than system restore. :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 20, 2019
  14. angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

Actually AHCI not ACPI. Funny, in IDE mode, Windows 7 gives the same error XP did (didn't actually check recording and screenshoting it but looks the same) and can't repair itself, but Windows XP works, so now to boot in either one have to go in BIOS and change that setting, unless I fix what's wrong again...

This article inspired me to find the solution:
    https://www.techsupportall.com/fix-stop-0x0000007b-error-windows-startup/

There's plenty of articles on the issue but have not the time. Maybe someone else cares to explain:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=AHCI+windows+xp+boot+error+bsod&t=opera&ia=web

I've seen XP iso's come with SATA drivers. Until now didn't know why, or I believe this issue is the reason

Since I haven't modified any settings, this looks like an conspiracy theory to make me switch to newer windowseses :D. It's getting painfully obvious the malware industry is the shadow of the mainstream software industry, i.e. in support of. I have no idea what changed what in my system to cause the problem in the first place, since I almost never do - the software dust on my system is thick :D

P.S. I'm sticking with xp since my system is dual 2GHz, 2GB memory, and I get more memory to work with in xp. The only reason to switch to Windows 7 is having at least a quad core, or a dual with lots of memory. "End of support" is a ploy to make you buy new windowseses based on the capitalist fatal flaw of being unsustainable. I see no value in the newer paradigms, its bloated software calling for more resource configurations... which means the computer programmer industry is not about being a good programmer but a crooked one, like a bureaucrat

angry.pidgeon, Jun 20, 2019
  15. angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon

angry.pidgeon, Jun 20, 2019
  16. angry.pidgeon

Computer semi-expert

Good job! Now you know the joys of dual-booting! :D Joys and heartaches, to be exact...

Computer semi-expert, Jun 21, 2019
    angry.pidgeon likes this.
  17. angry.pidgeon

Bita123

I had that problem and used these steps:
    1. #1: Use a Windows startup disk.
    2. #2: Use Last Known Good Configuration.
    3. #3: Use System Restore.
    4. #4: Use Recovery Console.
    5. #5: Fix a corrupt Boot.ini.
    6. #6: Fix a corrupt partition boot sector.
    7. #7: Fix a corrupt master boot record.
    8. #8: Disable automatic restart.
    I hope this info is useful for you.

Bita123, Jun 26, 2019
    cleverscreenname and Lia45 like this.
Ask a Question