Can't boot my system

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by LazarusNK, Dec 13, 2014.

1. LazarusNK

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 19, 2014
  2. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

Is it easier to just burn hirens cd on pc with xp os on and try again? Do you mean model of my motherboard? Its Gigabyte m52l-s3p, amd cpu... And again, thank u so much for ur effort, really...

LazarusNK, Dec 19, 2014
  3. LazarusNK

Elizabeth23

yes it is easier, and no I meant the make of the pc, such as mine is a Dell Dimension 3000, I have a boot image for a dell that I could send to you, but if you have an HP or a gateway or a selfbuilt I would not have the boot image, and you would have to get it through imgburn.

4. LazarusNK

Elizabeth23

5. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

no, its a desktop pc. so, im gonna burn hirens cd on a xp pc as soon as i can, you think it will work?

LazarusNK, Dec 19, 2014
  6. LazarusNK

Elizabeth23

yes, it should work then, but again the xp pc that you burn from, if it is , for example, a hewlett packard, then the boot.img will not work on a dell.

I say it would be easier to extract the img from the xp install cd, save to your desktop and then use imgburn to create a bootable iso from the hirens download and the .img file you saved to your desktop,

Try your way first and if it does not boot, then you can try the second way. Time consuming I know, but this way at least you will be able to boot to hirens, when you get this to work.

7. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

Just to be clear,i should extract img from xp cd on a pc that i'll later burn it on, not on my OWN and then download hirens and burn both images on 1 cd.

LazarusNK, Dec 19, 2014
  8. LazarusNK

Elizabeth23

yes, you want imgburn to extract the img from your xp install cd, as you know that this will boot on your pc, then once you have an img file and the iso image for Hiren's you are going to combine them to make a single cd that will boot to an xp pc, you can burn both img, and iso to one cd as long as you have the img from an xp install cd.

Okay??

9. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

Got it. Just one more thihm. I hope i doesnt need to be the same xp cd i used to install it on my pc. And does it matter is it sp2 or sp3

LazarusNK, Dec 19, 2014
  10. LazarusNK

Elizabeth23

no it does not matter for sp2 or 3, and it has to be an xp cd that will boot on your system, since you ran repair with it, then you can extract the img from that cd.

and eventually you want to incorporate sp3 onto your install cd so that your install cd will be at sp3, and you can then run a repair from it. :) but that is for later.

11. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

i tried to do system restore with recovery console on my xp install cd, i followed the instructions till the last step copy_registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and i was stuck there, it wouldn copy the file. i typed exit.

LazarusNK, Dec 20, 2014
  12. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

And now when i try to boot system from hdd it sais : Windows couldnt start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

LazarusNK, Dec 20, 2014
  13. LazarusNK

Elizabeth23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZe8YYkH4E

this is a 26 minute video on repairing this

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_missing_or_cor1.htm

steps to follow

is your copy of the xp install cd a retail one or an oem, in other words what does it say on the cd label??

==

if you are able to boot into hirens and copy your data off the harddrive, I would reinstall the os.

on some commands, the SET command has to have been set within windows or the commands will not work

Enabling this option makes the Recovery Console SET command available, which allows you to set the following Recovery Console environment variables:

AllowWildCards: Enable wildcard support for some commands (such as the DEL command).

AllowAllPaths: Allow access to all files and folders on the computer.

AllowRemovableMedia: Allow files to be copied to removable media, such as a floppy disk.

NoCopyPrompt: Do not prompt when overwriting an existing file.

Default: Disabled.

from here

you can set this through hirens because you could then access your drive.

===========

In case you decide to reinstall the os read the links below on how to do this:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1.htm
    With pictures of clean install
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/setup/install-windows-xp
    http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm
    http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-xp-professional-install-guide/
    http://tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm
    Clean installs of XP sites

Elizabeth23, Dec 20, 2014
  14. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

here is the thing. i managed to do system restore by booting hirens and then booting some kind of linux and copying files from system volum info\rpxxx\snapshot and pasting them to system32\config and properly renaming the files.

LazarusNK, Dec 21, 2014
  15. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

And now im at the beginning, at the menu with safe mode, last good config etc, not able to boot my os. Well, next thing i will do is to extract img from my xp sp2 cd and burn it together with hirens iso. my last resort...

LazarusNK, Dec 21, 2014
  16. LazarusNK

Elizabeth23

?? it appears that hirens is already booting??

Elizabeth23, Dec 21, 2014
  17. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

im able to boot hirens from the day i ve burned it, but i cant boot minixp properly, neither hddreg from hard disk tools and some other programs. anyway i can boot some linux derivate (Partition magic) but iT doesnt have drivers for usb drives.

LazarusNK, Dec 21, 2014
  18. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

Well, some good news. i managed to properly boot minixp, but not from the first menu in hirens, but from some sub-menu in DOS Programs in hirens. anyway, will try check disk and update with the results.

LazarusNK, Dec 21, 2014
  19. LazarusNK

Elizabeth23

okay will check back

run checkdisk at least twice

Elizabeth23, Dec 21, 2014
  20. LazarusNK

LazarusNK

heh, i did it just once and tried to boot my os, didnt work. should i now try to do it twice, or what?

LazarusNK, Dec 21, 2014
Ask a Question