Can't Access Windows Update for new XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by rlsj, Aug 22, 2013.

1. rlsj

rlsj

Installing -XP-Pro-SP3 on Intel Quad 2.6 GHz 32bit, 4G RAM, 2.8TB disk

My annoyance quotient was finally exceeded with XP, so I "upgraded" to Windows-7. After installing it twice and discovering a different killer fault each time, I am now trying to return to XP.

Installed XP from disk okay, installed motherboard drivers good, but when trying to apply the usual Windows updates -- over 100 the last time I reinstalled XP -- the update screen couldn't get through to Microsoft. It says approximatelay "Error on page," error code 8024D001, and insists on that response for every alternate approach.

I thought Microsoft intended to support XP until the end of 2013. Right? Wrong?

Can anyone advise me of another source for the last XP updates? What's the likelihood of a successful continuation with the non-updated version?

Thanks for your attention.

--rlsj

rlsj, Aug 22, 2013
  2. rlsj

Elizabeth23

SP3 has to be installed manually before Microsoft updates will work, please read below in case you have this type of pc, and if you do not need to use the patch, then just save the sp3 download to a flash drive or your desktop or burn to a cd, and install manually.

Courtesy of Tricky 300

Before you install SP3 read this article…
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
    …and if your PC is an HP Pavilion, Presario or Media Center and has an AMD processor you need to install this patch before installing SP3…
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-60484-2
    …to find out if you have an AMD processor...
    • Hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and hit the Pause Break key
    • Your processor type is shown in the Computer: section
    Then install SP3 by downloading and running from...
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24
    …you can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.
    Reboot twice after installing.

Elizabeth23, Aug 22, 2013
  3. rlsj

Elizabeth23

please give the exact error message, and did you allow the active x control to be installed?

Elizabeth23, Aug 22, 2013
  4. rlsj

rlsj

Elizabeth23;3247438 posted:
    "SP3 has to be installed manually before Microsoft updates will work..."

Thank you very much. That fixed the problem. I have downloaded and installed 136 updates.

It's curious that I've reinstalled -XP many times from this same disk (to eradicate viruses) and never before encountered any problem with updates. But like the straying lover, I've learned my lesson. Now it shall be Windows-XP for the duration.

--rlsj

rlsj, Aug 22, 2013
  5. rlsj

Elizabeth23

for a while now you cannot go to updates and get sp3.but go ahead and burn it to a cd so you will have it handy in case you have to reinstall again. :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 23, 2013
  6. rlsj

For the benefit of other XP fans that may have to do a re-image of their hard drive before the XP window shuts, and have noticed that what used to work before on windows update no longer works,The old way was something like this, add operating system,add service pack three,add I.E. 8, and ethernet driver's and go the windows update and your done.
    Well seem's like Microsoft now like's to make it not as simple and stop people from getting any update's the easy way and not post anything
    on how to get the update the simple way.
    The way to get the updates are just like you have done before, install the above,
    restart twice after I.E. 8 but now when you go to the windows update click on the
    "windows update new" at the top. download the bit of software, turn on automatic updates,reboot, and leave machine on overnight, the next morning you will see the "update icon" in lower toolbar.and your good to go. Also if you a have bought a "full" version and paid big bucks for it don't bother
    calling them for support all their tools are locked and you will have to pay for chat,or telephone support even with a "full" version.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    1157, Nov 22, 2013
Ask a Question