Cannot set up network

In an effort to save my XP laptop from the rubbish heap, I installed Windows 7 and discovered that the 9-year old Toshiba did not have drivers for Win 7. Several attempts to "make it work" did not work, so I reinstalled my old copy of Win XP, and downloaded drivers.

The WiFi shows the network, displays "Acquiring network address" but does not connect. When I turn off WiFi and connect directly from the cable box to the laptop with a LAN cable, the computer displays "connected" and shows an IP address, but I cannot connect to the Internet with the browser?

:confused:

Would appreciate any help, if not, I'll just not use the laptop for Internet.

what is the make, model and model number of pc

laptop or desktop, laptop correct??

version of xp, home, pro, or media center edition?

please provide the info so I may assist you.

PC Make: Dell XPS 8300 Intel Core I-7-2600 [email protected] Ghz with Windows 7 Home Premium

Laptop Make: Toshiba Satellite M45-S3553 Model No PSM40U-07W035
Intel Pentium M processor @1.73 Ghz 1.99 GB RAM with Windows XP Service Pack 2
(unable to download SP-3 because I can't connect to the Internet with it)

http://support.toshiba.com/drivers

I went here on Toshiba support site to see about your drivers but the model number is invalid.

you can go here on the Win 7 pc and enter your serial number, or tell me the serial number and I can go back and look at it.

look carefully to insure the numbers are the same as what is on the COA.

================

you can download sp3 , from the win 7 pc, save to a flash drive or cd=rw and then carry over to the laptop and install manually. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Elizabeth23. I went to the Toshiba site again using S/N 65095091Q but didn't find any newer drivers than what I already have. (I did download SP3 to a flash drive and updated the laptop)

Back