Cannot open PDF file on hard drive but can on USB(external drive)

As stated in title, my PDF files cannot be opened when they're on my harddrive. I get the error message "There was an error opening the document. ???????????".

When I copy the same document to a usb that's been plugged in it can be opened as usual, with no errors. This rules out the file itself being corrupted.

Currently running windows XP and have adobe acrobat 5 to view the PDFs.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem or know a solution or just has any general tips to try resolve this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

have not had this issue, but maybe it is your adobe that is not working right
download either pdf xchange viewer foxit or sumatraPDF, I use sumatra and pdf x change

https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/download-free-pdf-viewer

https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Hi Thanks for suggestion, it shouldn't be the adobe installed that's the issue as when opening the file on the USB drive it's also using the same software. Will look into the alternatives and see if the behavior is similar

Sounds like something isn't working right in the reader.

I use fox-it v1.0 and it's a single portable exe that works on everything. See if you can try that. It should work.

As stated in title, my PDF files cannot be opened when they're on my harddrive. I get the error message "There was an error opening the document. ???????????".

When I copy the same document to a usb that's been plugged in it can be opened as usual, with no errors. This rules out the file itself being corrupted.

Currently running windows XP and have adobe acrobat 5 to view the PDFs.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem or know a solution or just has any general tips to try resolve this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It's a strange occurrence. Can you try to update to Adobe Reader 9, or something later than what you're using currently?

Thanks. :)

@vynsin
Strange problem. Does it happen only with this PDF file or all PDF files?
Try:
open PDF file from different folder
open PDF file from different partition
reinstall adobe acrobat 5
open PDF file with some of the other PDF programs recommended in this topic

Back