Cannot install XP on USB

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by TheLovleyGuy, Nov 9, 2017.

1. TheLovleyGuy

TheLovleyGuy

Hi All!
    I used to be able to install XP on my flash drive (32gb) so if my hard disk falls i have this operating system i can use in my usb until i get a new HDD. I bought a 64gb USB but i cannot install it getting the error

"Your computers startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install windows XP on this hard disk.

This lack of access doesn't necessarily indicate an error condition. For example, disk attached to a SCSI adaptor that wasn't
    installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary hard disk controller, are typically not visible to the startup program unless special software is used. Contact your computer manufacturer for more information.

On x86 - based computers, this massage may indicate a problem with the COMS drive type settings.See your disk controller documentation for more information."

PC: Dell Inspirion N4050/HP Mini 110 (it used to work in both)

I would like to get any help! Thanks!

TheLovleyGuy, Nov 9, 2017
  2. TheLovleyGuy

TheLovleyGuy

Update! I am able to install it only, ONLY on the USB that got the SETUP. Others NO.

3. TheLovleyGuy

TheLovleyGuy

Update : Setup doesnt want to copy ntdlr. Setup Canceled! Need Help

4. TheLovleyGuy

Elizabeth23

when you say you installed xp on your flash drive, that does not mean that the xp on the flash drive is an installation media, do you have your original install cd?

did you create an install iso on the usb or did you image your system on the usb?

if you imaged your system then you have to use the same image program to image your system to a new drive.

Elizabeth23, Nov 9, 2017
  5. TheLovleyGuy

TheLovleyGuy

I do have, i used nLite to slipstream SATA drivers, then copied the setup to USB using "WinSetupFromUSB" and then just tried it now, but still the same problem.

I would like to install XP to run on my USB

6. TheLovleyGuy

TheLovleyGuy

(Update: I used to try a SD-CARD to USB Adapter, i just tried now a USB-Drive and its copying Files. Keep an Eye for any updates by me :) )

Definitely Faster!

7. TheLovleyGuy

TheLovleyGuy

Pretty Fast Update, Now its done but i get "Error loading operating system"
    Maybe its trying to boot from HDD?

8. TheLovleyGuy

Elizabeth23

Windows PE Bootable USB Creator , did you use this program?

according to HERE, did you follow those instructions?

if the above do not help the use THIS search page and read through several items and ask any questions after that, please

also, some pc's (older) will not boot xp from a usb, Mine is a dell dimension 3000 and I can boot to hiren's boot disk from a usb, but have never tried to boot the whole OS from a usb,

Did you change your bios to boot from a usb??

Elizabeth23, Nov 9, 2017
    TheLovleyGuy likes this.
  9. TheLovleyGuy

TheLovleyGuy

Hi! Good Stuff Happened! Now it works but i keep getting 0x0000007b BSOD when it tries to continue the Setup! Thats Good Signs!

10. TheLovleyGuy

Elizabeth23

A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is not configured to start during the startup process. A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is corrupted. Information in the Windows XP registry (information related to how the device drivers load during startup) is corrupted.

did you install the correct sata controllers?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-stop-0x0000007b-errors-2624109

above is some clear info on the 7b bsod.

Elizabeth23, Nov 9, 2017
    TheLovleyGuy likes this.
  11. TheLovleyGuy

TheLovleyGuy

Thanks for that! I just made a thread on HP too. I used the correct Sata Controllers.

TheLovleyGuy, Nov 10, 2017
Ask a Question