cannot change hard drive icon

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by alien, May 14, 2013.

1. alien

alien

I wanna change my hard drive icon .I have a C drive and a F drive.C drive has an icon like in Windows Vista where you can see how much free space there is.I want this also for the F drive , but this just won't work .I have tried IconTweaker and Vista Drive Icon.Nothing works.Thanks!

alien, May 14, 2013
  2. alien

Elizabeth23

go to start, right click on My computer, choose manage, choose disk management, you can see all your drives and how much space is used and/or free.

This is an xp forum, are you using xp?

Elizabeth23, May 14, 2013
  3. alien

alien

I know that.I wanna change my F hdd icon , so it looks like the C hdd ,where you can see instantly how much free space there is.I tried IconTweaker , VistaDriveIcon , but nothing works.See attachment

Attached Files:

alien, May 15, 2013
  4. alien

Elizabeth23

Last edited: May 15, 2013
    Elizabeth23, May 15, 2013
  5. alien

Elizabeth23

Below from this link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICO_(file_format)
    Windows XP, by default, employs 48×48 pixel icons in Windows Explorer. Windows XP can be forced to use icons as large as 256×256 by modifying the Shell icon size value but this would cause all 32×32 sized icons throughout the shell to be upsized.[3] Microsoft only recommended icon sizes up to 48×48 pixels for Windows XP.[6] Windows XP can read 256×256 pixel icon images and larger and it can resize them to use if no closer image size is available.[3]
    Windows Vista adds support for displaying 256×256 pixel icon images as a separate view in Windows Explorer, and supports (but does not require) the compressed PNG format. Microsoft recommends that all 256×256 icons in the ICO files should be stored in PNG format to reduce the overall size of the file.[7] The Windows Vista Explorer supports smoothly scaling icons to non-standard sizes which are rendered on the fly even if an image is not present for that size in the icon file. The Windows Vista shell adds a slider for "zooming" the icon sizes in and out. With users using higher resolutions and high DPI modes, larger icon formats (such as 256×256) are recommended.[7]

http://myappmag.com/make-windows-icons/
    do not know if these will work due to the difference between vista and xp but here are 20 tools to try,

6. alien

alien

This is of no use : i have plenty icons from Vista Drive Icons , they are 16 X 16.These won't work either on drive F , only on Drive C.

alien, May 15, 2013
  7. alien

Elizabeth23

sorry, I could not help you.

Ask a Question