Cannot boot after CPU swap

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by jeffshead, Sep 8, 2019.

1. jeffshead

jeffshead

Background:
    I built a full size arcade machine back in 2003ish. It is dual-booted XP Pro SP1 and XP Pro SP3 by means of Avanquest System Commander which is a boot/partition manager. The XPSP1 partition is the back-end OS for MAME and other game emulators. It has most services disabled so it is very light and fast booting. The XPPS3 partition is used to connect to the network/Internet for troubleshooting, transfering files, etc.

The problem I have encountered is that I replaced the non-hyperthreading CPU with a hyperthreading CPU and XPSP1 will not boot after it found and installed the new hardware. That is, it will not boot normally. I can boot into safe mode and it DOES show ACPI Multiprocessor PC in Device Manager and two CPU's in Performance tab of Task Manager. The XPSP3 partition is working perfectly fine after reboot.

I tried installing SP3 thinking SP1 does not support hyperthreading but after doing that, at normal boot, I get the "Missing or corrupt Ntfs.sys" error. However, I can still boot into safemode so that file is not actually missing or corrupt. I even tried replacing that file with one from the XPSP3 partition and got the same results. I also tried disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS but I get the same results. I also tried a repair install from the installation CD but it only sees the partitions, not the OS's so Repair is not an option; only full install.

I have a backup image of the system before I replaced the CPU so I can start from scratch.

Specs:
    MB: Asus P4S800, socket 478
    CPU: Intel P4 3.2 Northwood SL6WE
    RAM: PC3200 1.5 GB DDR
    Graphics card: VisionTek ATI HD3650 AGP 1GB DDR2
    Power supply: 650 watts
    Monitor: 21" CRT monitor (VGA) made for PC's

Questions:
    1. So does anyone know why I cannot boot normally?
    2. Does SP1 support hyperthreading?
    3. Is there one or more services that I need to enable before I reboot after the system replaces the HAL for the hyperthreading CPU?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    jeffshead, Sep 8, 2019
  2. jeffshead

Elizabeth23

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/hyper-threading-performance-drop.484479/

read through the above thread as it discusses hyperthreading and xp home,

ALSO , run checkdisk from the recovery console with the /r parameter, at least twice, until no errors are found, then reboot, if it does not boot then go back to the recovery console and do a fixboot, then fixmbr, and disregard any warnings.

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2019
  3. jeffshead

jeffshead

Thanks. I will check out that thread but my OS's are Pro, not Home if that matters. Also, I don't have a recovery option when I boot from the CD.

jeffshead, Sep 8, 2019
Ask a Question