Can Windows XP run on this laptop, or be booted from USB flash drive on this laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by mal4o, Jun 3, 2022.

1. mal4o

mal4o

Hi. I'm interested in using Windows XP as a secondary OS. I have Windows 7, but now I need Windows XP, too, so I can use them for my Legacy coding project, which is best compatible with Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Usually, I have separated computers for that purpose. I have computers with Win7 and WinXP, but I want to be able to run copies of them on my Windows 10 laptop, too. I tried Virtual Machine, but I was highly unsatisfied. I don't want Virtual Machine.

So, here is the hardware information of the laptop I currently use for experimentation:

Laptop: Acer Aspire A315-22?

RAM: 4 GB

CPU: AMD A4-9120e, Name: Stoney Ridge, Socket: FT4 (Specification: AMD A4-9120e RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G)

Motherboard: Manufacturer: SR, Model: Rose_SR, Version: 1.09

BIOS: Brand: Pheonix, Technologies Ltd, Version: V1.09 - AMD AGESA Stoney PI - V1.3.0.G

Graphics: AMD Radeon R3 Graphics

So, this is the information. If there is more information you need to know before you can tell me whether or not Windows XP can run on this hardware, feel free to ask.

mal4o, Jun 3, 2022
  2. mal4o

ClippyBeer

Probably not. Your laptop comes with WIndows 10 and Acer only has drivers for Windows 10 x64 for your model.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/8047?b=1

You could try installing XP just to see what drivers it will and won't pickup then use a tool like Snappy Driver Installer to see if it can find compatible drivers.

You didn't mention which virtual machine you tried but VMWare provides the best XP experience on modern hardware. It has drivers that enable hardware acceleration for gaming and other 3D applications. When you put it in full screen you won't even know that XP is running in a virtual machine.

[​IMG]

ClippyBeer, Jun 6, 2022
    xperceniol and Elizabeth23 like this.
Ask a Question