Can the nag screen of Superantispyware be stopped?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Apr 23, 2020.

1. trimis

trimis

I installed version 8.0.1046 four days ago, and every time I log on, a nag screen for a 'new version' appears...I assume the paid version is being hawked, but never clicked on it. Any way to disable this? I looked on my Agnitum Firewall, but don't see anything that looks like an updater to block. I guess I could block everything from internet access. Any ideas?

trimis, Apr 23, 2020
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 23, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

flavallee Guest

8.0.1052 is the current version of SUPERAntispyware.

If your computer has version 8.0.1046, that explains why a nag screen to update it is appearing.

flavallee, Apr 23, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  4. trimis

trimis

That is not the nag popup that appears. Mine says a newer version is available, and happens every time I start up the PC. Every time I decline it, but it keeps coming back. I don't really care whether it is hawking a paid version or a newer free version. Today makes at least five times I said 'no', but it's like a three-year old that refuses to take no for the answer. Other than this annoyance, I got no complaints with Superantispyware, but I will eventually get ticked off, and uninstall it. I'm hoping there is another solution, other than upgrading, uninstalling, or using Agnitum to block it entirely from internet access.

trimis, Apr 23, 2020
  5. trimis

trimis

Updates have screwed things up many times before (Firefox, BleachBit, and CCleaner come to mind), and I'm not well inclined towards them....especially updates for the sake of updating. Version 8.0.1046 seems to be doing all I need it to do, so I will be sticking with it, unless the nags cause me to uninstall it.

trimis, Apr 23, 2020
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 24, 2020
  7. trimis

flavallee Guest

Apps are usually updated to improve their use and to fix issues.

If you choose to stick with outdated versions, that's your choice.

flavallee, Apr 24, 2020
  8. trimis

ClippyBeer

If you're running the free version it appears that you will have to update in order to get rid of the nag screen.

https://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=39

There. Fixed that for you.

This is an XP forum. We're not worried about running outdated versions.

ClippyBeer, Apr 24, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  9. trimis

trimis

Couldn't find anything in settings, nor anything obvious in Agnitum Firewall. I did the update, and so far no problems, but expect it will keep doing this til it updates beyond XP. I'll either uninstall it then, or go back to the last working version, and use Agnitum to block all its access to the internet.

trimis, Apr 25, 2020
  10. trimis

trimis

If you prefer to update for the sake of updating, only to find your 'latest&greatest' new version is worse than the one you had (or doesn't work on your OS at all), and you choose to stick with it just because, that's your choice. If I am not liking an app, and want to update, I will. I don't need forced auto-updates (as in Firefox) nor nag screens as in this case. If an app has an update available, it's okay to have a popup to inform me, but once I say no, it ain't okay to nag me everytime I log-on....this is only one step away from the the Mozilla Mothership attitude of 'we know what's best for you, so submit to our will'.

trimis, Apr 25, 2020
Ask a Question