Can the I5-6300HQ support Win XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by dtref, Dec 20, 2019.

1. dtref

dtref

My question is: Can the Intel I5-6300HQ chip set, which has Skylake architecture, support the installation of the Windows XP – 32 bit OS?

I have searched the Internet for a definitive answer to my question and not found one. The literature I have found says that the I5-6300HQ can support Windows 7 – 32 bit. However, nowhere have I found any mention of Windows XP.

The I5-6300HQ was launched in the third quarter of 2015. Microsoft support for Windows XP ended on 08-Apr-2014. However, support for Windows 7 does not end until January, 2020. Since Win XP and Win 7 are not dissimilar, is the failure to mention Win XP in I5-6300HQ literature a) proof that the chip set cannot support Win XP or b) a reflection of the assumption that no one who owns an I5-6300HQ chip set would care whether the chip set could support Win XP?

Thank you for any help on this question.

dtref, Dec 20, 2019
  2. dtref

tingspace

I remember hearing that Skylake wasn't supposed to work on anything except Windows 10, but this was since backtracked. And Windows 7/8.1 does have support but it's continued chip compatibility has been frozen.

Given that not even Vista would have compatibility, XP would have no chance.

Sources:

tingspace, Dec 22, 2019
  3. dtref

Merplop

I think the only way to find out would be to integrate a modded acpi.sys and Fernando's SATA drivers into an XP ISO, put it on a USB with Yumi, and try to install it. XP boots just fine on my i7-8700k rig with this strategy, which is Coffee Lake and several generations newer than your chip. However, your processor appears to be a laptop CPU, which might cause some issues as I've personally had issues with XP hanging on the splash screen upon booting from a modern laptop.

Merplop, Dec 27, 2019
  4. dtref

flavallee Guest

The Intel Core i5-6300HQ is a 6th generation processor, so I doubt that Windows XP SP3 32-bit will install in it.

I've had good success with installing it in 3rd generation and legacy Intel processors.

flavallee, Feb 25, 2020
Ask a Question