Can not encrypt files on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Rudy Lewis, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

I'm baack!! and have another question. My "Encrypt contents to secure data" check box is greyed out in XP. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Rudy Lewis, Jul 12, 2020
  2. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Liz,
    Thanks so much for the reply; however, after a little more research, I discovered that Windows XP Home does not have EFS, but XP Pro does. Oh well, I guess if it becomes an issue then I will investigate further options; however, I am the only one who uses my computer. Thanks again!

Rudy Lewis, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

no problem, :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 15, 2020
  5. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Liz,
    This is not on topic; however, do you know of anyone else who can not access Windows XP Forums via Google Chrome? I was able to log on to the site using Google up until about a month ago. Now I have to use Firefox, but it is hinky and constantly tells me "Not responding" and I have to wait for Firefox to "respond". When I try to use Chrome, I receive the message "
    This site can’t be reached
    www.xpforums.com unexpectedly closed the connection.

ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED

I can not find any information to repair this problem. I am using the latest Chrome version for Windows XP, so updating Chrome is not an option. To reiterate, I was able to access Windows XP Forums before. I have not added any extensions to Chrome; it simply refuses to open the forum site, not to mention quite a few other sites. Again, I can not find any information on the internet which is useful pertaining to this problem.
    Thanks,
    Rudy

Rudy Lewis, Jul 16, 2020
  6. Rudy Lewis

ClippyBeer

Forget Chrome and Internet Explorer if you are using Windows XP. The only way to access the web is to use a Mozilla based browser such as Firefox, Serpent, MyPal, Centaury or New Moon.

This is because most websites now use HTTPS and since Chrome and IE use XP's internal long-outdated TLS certificates those browsers can't establish HTTPS connections, only plain HTTP which very few websites still support. I don't know if there is a way to updates Windows XP's TLS certificates, maybe someone else will know.

Mozilla browsers have their own TLS certificates so they work fine on XP with HTTPS sites.

Download Centaury browser for XP.

Download MyPal browser for XP.

ClippyBeer, Jul 16, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  7. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Wow!!! Once again someone has completely disregarded my question and proceeded to give advice based on their own agenda. The response by beer belly had nothing to do with the Windows XP Forum site (which by the way uses https://). Also, 95% (educated guess) of the websites come up in Chrome, and again (focus, beer belly), Firefox will "stall" and I have to wait for it to allow the site to come up or reload. I have found Chrome to be reliable enough to bring up most sites, but until recently, the XP forum site will not load which Chrome blames Windows XP Forums site for "unexpectedly closed the connection" whichi is not the browser's fault because it tried to open the site but was unable. And FYI, I am using the latest versions of Firefox and Google allowed by XP. Also FYI, IE8 (also the latest version allowed by XP) does not allow 99% (actual, not estimated guess) of the sites to appear. Also, my question was for Liz only since she seems to one of the very few with good, solid advice. However, good manners dictate I thank everyone for their attempt.
    Rudster and Max

Rudy Lewis, Jul 17, 2020
  8. Rudy Lewis

ClippyBeer

I most humbly apologize if my advice failed to resolve your web access issues. If you are dissatisfied feel free to contact our customer service for a full refund of the fee you paid for this advice. Frankly It would be best for all if your were to join a different forum where your sense of entitlement is welcome.

You are the one who is having problems accessing this website under XP, not me, works perfectly here, beer belly and all. Bottom line is if you can't solve it yourself then clearly you need us more than we need you.

ClippyBeer, Jul 17, 2020
    cornemuse and Elizabeth23 like this.
  9. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

This is for Elizabeth23 only. Liz, I would like to give you my email address so I can ask you about my future XP questions without any interference from others. Once I explain why via email, I believe you will understand my request.
    Thanks,
    RL

Rudy Lewis, Aug 5, 2020
Ask a Question