Can not customize notifications

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Rudy Lewis, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Taskbar, Properties, Taskbar, Customize (next to Hide inactive icons), Customize Notifications, can not change behavior for any items listed. Clicked on Restore Defaults but still can not change behaviors. Rebooted to no avail. Returned XP to last known good configuration to no avail. Does anyone have any idea how to repair this problem?

Rudy Lewis, Dec 26, 2020
  2. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

have you tried from safe mode?

I do no hide my notification icons but when I checked the box to activate customize button, the changes worked, so what has changed since your last customization? any new programs or regedit changes?

Elizabeth23, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Liz,
    I apologize. I knew someone was going to ask "What changed?" and I meant to say "Nothing has changed or been added." in my first post, but I forgot to do that. I read the descriptions for each link; however, I can not find what will repair my issue. Could you please tell me what you think will help me?
    Thanks,
    Rudy

Rudy Lewis, Dec 27, 2020
  5. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 28, 2020
  6. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Hi Liz,
    I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply; however, I wanted to wait a few days before I told you what happened. I tried to boot into Windows but after a few seconds, I received the BSOD. I rebooted and the same thing happened. I cold booted with the same result. I then tried to boot using Safe mode but Windows would not allow me to do that. I then tried to boot using Start Windows Normally, but Windows would not let me do that either. I then tried to boot using the Last Known Good Configuration and I was successful. I ran checkdsk / R but there were no errors. I ran Kaspersky but it did not find any problems. I then saved my Registry, then saved a restore point (two actually, which I discovered many years ago, is what needs to be done). Also, after I was able to successfully boot into Windows, I was able to once again set the behaviors for all my tray icons. Thank you for the Kellys Corner website; I will download & save them in case I need them in the future. Windows XP is a very sturdy OS, and I have had to reinstall XP only twice and that was because I had to replace the C: drive both times.
    Thanks,
    Rudy & Max

Rudy Lewis, Jan 4, 2021
  7. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

you are welcome :)
    I have reinstalled many times because I like to play around with this or that and sometimes forget what I have messed with so therefore cannot correct it, :(, but it generally gives me some knowledge that I did not have before, :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 4, 2021
Ask a Question