Can I Transfer 32-bit XP to 64-bit Laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by koolx, Jan 28, 2015.

1. koolx

koolx

I got a 10 year old Gateway M210 laptop thats 32 bit with an IDE hard drive with XP. I want to buy the newer Sony Vaio Flip model# SVF15N17CXB thats Win 8, 64 bit and has a SATA drive. Is it possible to copy the o/s from the IDE drive to the SATA drive so it boots to XP? Will there be any issues?

koolx, Jan 28, 2015
  2. koolx

Jojo

My HDs are SATA.

As for moving the OS over, I don't think it will work for several reasons.

Firstly, 64 bit and 32 bit have a number of important differences.

Secondly, the OS will be made for that machine. There is a file that holds information about the current hardware and detects of there have been significant changes.

Jojo, Jan 28, 2015
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  3. koolx

MihailMojsoski

I think that you can.

MihailMojsoski, May 9, 2015
  4. koolx

red Guest

red, Aug 9, 2021
  5. koolx

Samir

I've done this frequently, but it may not always work due to the video driver. Here's the gist of it:
    • Download clonezilla live and write it to a CD/USB (or both) so that each system can boot it.
    • Have an external usb drive formatted fat32 that is larger than your IDE drive.
    • Boot both laptops to clonezilla live running from ram if there is sufficient ram.
    • You then want to use clonezilla to create an image of the ide drive and save that image on the usb drive. I usually compress them to save space, but not compressing will save time.
    • Once this is done, exit clonezilla and turn off the system with the ide drive.
    • Connect the usb drive to the new system now that's running clonezilla and let it recognize it.
    • Write the image you created to the new system's drive.
    • Once this is done, go into the new system's bios and set the sata to 'legacy' or 'ide' or whatever makes it run as backward compatible as possible. Once you do this and boot it should start loading xp.
    • If you get a blue screen or if it will not otherwise not boot completely, try using safe mode to install all the drivers for the new system. Usually this will resolve any issues.
    • If you want to run the drive in sata mode, install the sata driver and then change the bios setting back to sata. I've never noticed any performance difference from this so I just leave it alone. XP tends to be super-fast on modern hardware so the little tweaks we used to do aren't necessary anymore.
    Feel free to ask questions!

Samir, Aug 10, 2021
  6. koolx

cornemuse

You can clone an IDE hdd system to a SATA hdd, I have done this. Problem is, running old os in a completely different computer <= diff mobo>, the issue of drivers rears its ugly head. In my experience rarely did the new computer even boot & when it did, it was a pita to locate & install all needed drivers. If you can find workable xp drivers for the newer (sony) machine, I would do a clean install, , , , ,

edit: I have somewhere a 20 yr old Toshiba laptop came with 30 G ide hdd. I installed a 60 G ssd in it & reinstalled XP Home < with my toshiba disk came with computer > oh upgraded to max ram 1 gig 2 gig?
    It was ¡rocket! fast compared to hdd & less memory, You can still buy ide ssd's.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    cornemuse, Aug 10, 2021
  7. koolx

Samir

Yep, it's definitely a bit of a challenge but if you have a setup you really like and have an image of it, it's far easier to clone and then just update drivers and be rolling.

Oh yeah, I've got some of those older systems as well. :) They're amazingly fast once their ram is maxed out and storage upgraded. A trick on getting an ssd in an ide system is to simply use a compact flash card with an adapter--much better than the cheap chinese crap ide ssds that are sketchy to say the least.

Samir, Aug 11, 2021
Ask a Question