Can I save a new install of xp to install a different OS?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by LuMax, Jun 29, 2014.

1. LuMax

LuMax

I'm not a tech. I purchased a used laptop on ebay with the intention of installing and trying Linux Mint. The laptop, however, is coming with a fresh install of xp pro (it's what I'm used to).
    Not being a tech, my question is, is there a way for me to copy xp just in case I want to reinstall it later in case I don't like Mint ?

LuMax, Jun 29, 2014
  2. LuMax

Jojo

Yes.

Use this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

When you run it, it will present you with a line representation of your disk. Select Image This Disk. Not Clone.

You will need a sizable space to store the image, at least as large as the image itself. Preferably, a second drive, perhaps in the USB port.

When you need to reload it, the instructions are all there, generally, clicking on the image.

Jojo, Jun 29, 2014
  3. LuMax

Elizabeth23

from here

you can boot to the cd and leave your hard drive install as is

Elizabeth23, Jun 30, 2014
  4. LuMax

Jojo

With respect, I have to say, my own experiences with Linux have convinced me never to trust it.

It has reformatted drives, deleting not just the installed OS, XP in that case, but also deleting everything else.

My last Laptop had its BIOS rewritten, making it entirely unusable. Since it also destroyed access to the CD drive, and net access I couldn't repair the BIOS. That machine ended in the bin!

Yes I must have done something wrong. No, there is no-one who can say what that is.

Play about with Linux by all means, but now that it is almost impossible to activate a re-install of XP, I suggest you treat any installation like gold.

Jojo, Jun 30, 2014
  5. LuMax

Elizabeth23

@Jojo:

I have not used Linux, that was info I generated by googling the issue.

I have not read where your issue occurred Jojo, but since it did, I am wondering just what happened to erase the contents of the drive.

Elizabeth23, Jun 30, 2014
  6. LuMax

Jojo

I really wish I knew Elizabeth.

The BIOS re-write happened when attempted to remove Linux and reinstall Windows. I understand from a computer tech at my local university, that the Linux OS may have altered a setting but this wasn't put back because I didn't use the right routine to uninstall it. Though to be fair, that was a guess.

The re-writing of my Windows drive happened when I attempted to use the Linux dual BOOT routine. I was advised I must have done done something wrong there as well. (Though the same Tech suggested I would have been better using the Windows dual BOOT routine, or better still, sticking with Windows.)

Getting any information or support is almost impossible. I did join a few Linux forums but was either ignored or had my posts moved here and there, because 'They Had Been Posted in the Wrong place'.

Every Linux user begins by asking you which version you use then says, 'You'd be better using this, or that.'

The how to guides seem to waffle on getting no-where. Have a look at these for example, all on the same topic:

http://www.control-escape.com/linux/lx-swinstall.html

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/li...aterial/64958-how-install-software-linux.html

https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...load-software-and-content-onto-your-linux-vps

I'm sure Linux is a wonderful OS. It doesn't load many sites. Doesn't use loads of software or online social activities. There is no support, it's never heard of intuitive or user friendly. It tries so hard to look just like Windows.

If I were every to try it again, I'd do so on another machine and preferably in a different house, using a different ISP and a pair of rubber gloves!

Jojo, Jul 3, 2014
  7. LuMax

Elizabeth23

:D:D

@Jojo, that says it all. I will just stick with Windows, several years ago I got a cd for $5.00 for Ubuntu and have never taken it out of the package. I think I even gave it away finally.

Elizabeth23, Jul 3, 2014
Ask a Question