Can I install XP on a recent Acer (emachines) desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by 7toXP, Nov 30, 2014.

1. 7toXP

7toXP

How do you install XP on a computer that's a little more than a year old?

I have the model Acer (emachines) EL1360G-UW12P
    2GB DDR3 RAM (on current 7 install only recognizes 1.4GB AS usable)
    1.6GHz E-350 AMD
    Radeon 6310 GPU
    500GB HDD

I attempted an XP install with a old copy I used before but this hangs on the hardware screen.

Please, I'm only a home desktop user but i long for the XP days especially since my current 7 update installs are causing my OS to hang.

7toXP, Nov 30, 2014
  2. 7toXP

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 1, 2014
  3. 7toXP

7toXP

I found the same problem when I looked for my model too. I can't directly find any support e-mail address, but you should know that emachines has folded as of the beginning of 2013. If I did get in touch, what am I supposed to ask them?

And what is it about SATA controllers? I have never messed with the physical hardware much in a computer before, so can you explain what you are talking about?

I might be out of luck as far as drivers for my PC model goes. :confused:

7toXP, Dec 1, 2014
  4. 7toXP

Elizabeth23

[​IMG]

in the above pix you will see that the cables for sata are skinny and for ide wide and flat.

you can also look at device manager , hard drives and check properties when you have the make model and model number of your hard drive you can look on line at the manufacturer and it will describe if it is sata or not, but seeing as how it is only one year old it is most likely sata.
    ===

https://answersby.com/contact.aspx

after many clicks on the support page I came to this as the only email address, I would send an email asking for xp drivers for your make, model and model number of pc, if they are not available, then you should purchase more ram, and you can ask in your email how to get more ram.

Elizabeth23, Dec 1, 2014
  5. 7toXP

7toXP

So do you still need to replace the actual hard drive or just replace the connector part?

7toXP, Dec 1, 2014
  6. 7toXP

Elizabeth23

no you cannot replace either, if your motherboard will support ide, then you could install an ide drive, but this is something you will have to ask the manufacturer, it is over my head, I do not believe that there are xp drivers for your pc and if there are not then that pc cannot run xp. Try emailing and asking.

Elizabeth23, Dec 2, 2014
  7. 7toXP

Jojo

My machine uses SATA and has since I first installed XP on it in 2007.

If the loader is hanging on the hardware screen I suggest you start there?

As I recall, it is possible to continue install without most drivers, so you can install these later.

Are you getting any error messages?

The only real difficulty I have had installing XP is finding appropriate drivers for the broad band modem. By default, XP tries to use dial-up.

As for the W7 updates, you should turn that off immediately. The days when you could trust M$ are long gone.

I will also suggest you turn off Updates and most other services in XP, since few are actually necessary for home users.

Jojo, Dec 3, 2014
Ask a Question