Can I erase floppy disks with viruses before they start?

I’m getting a floppy drive for my computer laptop and we have some floppy disks but half of those have viruses. My XP machine has AVG antivirus. Should I erase them then or on my Win 10 machine?

if your av will scan before allowing pc to open them this would be good, also you should have autoplay and autorun disabled:

Turn off Autoplay and autorun:

1. HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

2. If necessary create a dword called NoDriveTypeAutoRun

3. Set the dword thus:NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 000000FF

4. A value of 000000FF (decimal 255) disables AutoRun on all drives.

5. Refer to the above table, and use a Hexadecimal calculator to compute the most suitable value for your machine.

6. There is no need to logoff; the NoDriveTypeAutoRun setting should take effect straightaway

Click Start, click Run, typeGpedit.msc in the Open box, and then click OK. Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then click System. In the Settings pane, right-click Turn off Autoplay, and then click Properties. Note In Windows 2000, the policy setting is named Disable Autoplay.
=====================

this ensures that no removable media can start without prompt from you thru my computer, it only takes seconds for virus' to spread from removable media if the above are not turned off, 360 TSE does this for me, :)

I can’t seem to get Gpedit to show the system and I can’t find the update for that online but I did turn off AutoRun
if your av will scan before allowing pc to open them this would be good, also you should have autoplay and autorun disabled:

5. Refer to the above table, and use a Hexadecimal calculator to compute the most suitable value for your machine.

6. There is no need to logoff; the NoDriveTypeAutoRun setting should take effect straightaway

Click Start, click Run, typeGpedit.msc in the Open box, and then click OK. Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then click System. In the Settings pane, right-click Turn off Autoplay, and then click Properties. Note In Windows 2000, the policy setting is named Disable Autoplay.
=====================

this ensures that no removable media can start without prompt from you thru my computer, it only takes seconds for virus' to spread from removable media if the above are not turned off, 360 TSE does this for me, :)

Last edited:
I can’t seem to get Gpedit to show the system and I can’t find the update for that online

=====================

so I put it in my windows 10 machine to reset all of them and the First one I did was previously a xp password recovery disk. I used sd card formatter and now my windows 10 machine stopped working saying it has no boot device found at all

Last edited:
I am running 360 TSE. Do you think I should disable Autorun and Autoplay inspite of having 360?

Back