CA certificates store updates?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by trimis, Oct 31, 2018.

1. trimis

trimis

Someone on another forum suggested I check to make sure that the certificates store is as up to date as possible, and if not, to update via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42092, which of course is not working. Anyone know how to check to see if it is up to date, or how to update if not?

trimis, Oct 31, 2018
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

I am not sure what certificates you mean, I have never updated a certificate.

Elizabeth23, Nov 1, 2018
  3. trimis

trimis

trimis, Nov 1, 2018
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

I have not had automatic updates, (and the link says this is done through microsoft updates) started since I did my last clean install, if I get to a site that does not have a certificate (I did once), I just give an exception and then go one. so evidently I have not had to worry about certificates and I would not bother , do you really feel the need to update certificates?

Elizabeth23, Nov 1, 2018
  5. trimis

trimis

As mentioned before, when using chrome/chromium-based browsers (Iron, Slimjet, & Chromodo) the CA nazis have me blockaded from at least a quarter to half of all sites I try to reach, via about 4 or five different certificate errors. Currently my workaround is either keep open a firefox-based browser with 'skip certificate error' addon ....or failing that, add the URL to a list on my AbiWord, take it to the library via flashdrive, print it out, bring it home, and access those forbidden URLs via MX Linux.

Someone on another forum suggested I make sure the certificates store is as updated as possible, so I saw no reason not to, but frankly, my real goal is to find a coder to rip apart Superfish, PrivDog or similar malware, and leave behind the MITMproxy with bogus uber-certificate that will overrule all those in the embedded certificates store of XP...but finding someone able to do that (and works cheap) is slow going. So until then, I'm exploring all options.

trimis, Nov 6, 2018
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 6, 2018
Ask a Question