Burning a video to DVD?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by trimis, Sep 1, 2018.

1. trimis

trimis

I managed to download a video to my HDD, and would like to try to get it onto DVD. Also have a bunch of Google photos in a file called 'My Pictures', guess they could go on to a CD? Anyway, I have had this PC for almost a year now, and it's about time I started learning to do stuff beside exploring the net and watching TV shows, so I'd like to start by learning how to burn this movie onto DVD. Google indicated XP Pro cannot do this on its own, so I downloaded 'DVD Flick' and 'ImgBurn'. Do I need anything else? How to start, and where to begin?

trimis, Sep 1, 2018
  2. trimis

WindowsXPforever

I recommend CD burner XP BECAUSE ITS THE EASIEST :)
    https://cdburnerxp.se/
    FOLLOW THE TUTORIAL HOW TO INSTALL IT (AND REMEMBER NEVER INSTALL OPTIONAL SOFTWARE) :p

WindowsXPforever, Sep 1, 2018
  3. trimis

Elizabeth23

look through THIS SEARCH page , there are lots of instructions on how to use imgburn to do this.

Elizabeth23, Sep 1, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  4. trimis

cornemuse

Imgburn is one of the best cd/dvd burning prog out there. Been around since like 2005 or so, XP since 2002, , , ,

cornemuse, Sep 1, 2018
  5. trimis

trimis

Unfortunately, research indicates that it now comes bundled with OpenCandy, PUPs, and possibly (depending on which site you ask) outright malware, so getting this is like trying to install an app from Download.com or CNET...basically running through a minefield with fingers crossed. Too much effort I think.

trimis, Sep 3, 2018
  6. trimis

WindowsXPforever

I always never install optional software

WindowsXPforever, Sep 3, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  7. trimis

trimis

Jeez, never knew it was that complex. Will have to take a few days to build up some courage to deal with it. Will the process automatically erase the movie from my HDD (My Documents: My Videos)? By the way, it has the VLC symbol, so I guess that means I used it to download the movie....does this matter in the steps outlined?

trimis, Sep 3, 2018
  8. trimis

trimis

Don't think anyone in their right mind wants to, but PUPs and malware purveyors have become so adept at deceit, only the most skillful (or dumb lucky), can make it through the minefield intact. Them that fail have a nice long chore of trying to sanitize this crud from their PC. An app would have to be mighty important for me to risk it.

trimis, Sep 3, 2018
  9. trimis

Elizabeth23

just use imgburn, and there are guides on the forum that will help with each settings, I have never burned a video to a dvd, I have lots of movies on my flash drives and should one be corrupted I can just download it again.

I once downloaded cdburnerxp and took forever to get all the remnants removed, :) fortunately my AV sees if the download has pups attached and will automatically quarantine it. Sometimes you can get an older version to install without the added software. this program also does not make it easy to decline additional software.

and unless requested a video will not be deleted from your pc if you burn it to a dvd, it is just like copying it will be on the media and on your pc. Some programs give you an option to delete original after burning, but it is not automatic.

Elizabeth23, Sep 3, 2018
  10. trimis

Lockherup

why would you download and install software to burn a CD. right click on the movie and send to D:\ CDRom or whatever your DVD/CD drive is.. you don't need software to burn a CD. Any DVD player will play windows created CD's or DVD's as a movie. If you downloaded a movie you don't have the DVD interface anyway so there is absolutely no need to install anything because they'll all just do the same thing and put the movie in a folder or the root dir.

Lockherup, Sep 4, 2018
  11. trimis

Elizabeth23

I do not have that option when I right click on a downloaded movie.

Elizabeth23, Sep 4, 2018
  12. trimis

Lockherup

You should have it. even XP home has this.. It's not a movie feature, every file has a Send To menu when you right click, assuming your drive is detected it will show up.

Attached Files:

Lockherup, Sep 4, 2018
  13. trimis

Elizabeth23

when I right click on my music folder and choose send to my dvd drive is not listed. that is why I downloaded imgburn, since I just want to create a data dvd, so I can reinstall my music if I reinstall xp.

neither do I have this option when I choose send to on a video file (.mp4) my computer lists my drive, but it is not in the send to choices.

when I tried to burn a data dvd, after 3 hours it was still at 11% I finally cancelled it.

Elizabeth23, Sep 4, 2018
  14. trimis

Lockherup

Try method 2, drag and drop.. Put in a blank CD, go to the CD in my computer, it should be an empty space with nothing in the root of the CD. Drag and drop file in there and press write from the file menu. If you don't have this either I would ask for money back.

CD or DVD should complete in 10 min

Attached Files:

Lockherup, Sep 4, 2018
  15. trimis

Elizabeth23

yes it works fine that way for a cd, but does not work for the dvd, when I put a blank dvd in imgburn can see it but windows says it either cannot read the disk or that the drive is inaccessible, I am going to do some research on these errors now. :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 4, 2018
Ask a Question