BSOD While Using Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by JMT83, Jul 28, 2012.

1. JMT83

JMT83

Hello, everyone. I am hoping there are good bugslayers/remote desktop users reading this. I have a 32 bit XP computer (PC-A) that has crashed 3 times since yesterday when I connect to it using remote desktop from a 64-bit Windows 7 computer (PC-B). Below is a summary of the stop code and a copy of the bugcheck I ran on one of the dump files:

Stop Code

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: win32k.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050 (0XBC67FFF0, 0X00000000, 0XBF83A79D, 0X00000000)

win32k.sys - Address BF83A79D base at BF8000000, DateStamp 4fd89375

Bugcheck

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\FirstName_LastName.DOMAIN\Desktop\Mini072712-02.dmp]
    Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\debug_symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
    Executable search path is:
    Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
    Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
    Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.120504-1619
    Machine Name:
    Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055d720
    Debug session time: Fri Jul 27 15:11:05.829 2012 (UTC - 4:00)
    System Uptime: 0 days 5:43:01.472
    Loading Kernel Symbols
    Loading User Symbols
    Loading unloaded module list
    ******************************************************************************* Bugcheck Analysis
    *******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 10000050, {bc54fff0, 0, bf83a79d, 0}

Could not read faulting driver name
    Probably caused by : RDPDD.dll ( RDPDD!DrvDisableSurface+63 )

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

To be honest, I'm not sure if I should be posting this in an XP forum, or a Windows 7 forum. This is because I haven’t changed anything recently with PC-A. In fact, before yesterday, PC-A had been working fine. On the other hand, PC-B has been giving me problems for quite some time. I believe that it had a defective ATI Radeon card. So last weekend, I removed the PCI video card, uninstalled the drivers, and started using the integrated card that came with PC-B. PC-B has not crashed yet after removing the PCI card, but now PC-A crashes when I connect to it using remote desktop.

I am not sure if the issue is caused by a problem on the XP computer, or if the "new" integrated video card on the Windows 7 PC is causing the XP box to crash. The XP computer never crashed when I connected to it prior to removing the PCI card. There are other XP, Vista, and Windows 7 PCs that have connected to PC-A with no issues.

I am hoping that someone can give me some help to let me know if I need to determine if the issue is with the XP computer that is crashing, or if the cause of this is the Windows 7 PC from which I am connecting.

Thanks,

JMT83

Attached Files:

JMT83, Jul 28, 2012
  2. JMT83

Frankie

Hmmm... First thing, BSOD is caused by the Hardware/Software on the machine the BSOD occurs
    Going by the error thats posted "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
    Here's the resolution for that
    To resolve this problem, start your computer in Safe mode, remove the display adapter, rename the .inf files that are associated with the display adapter drivers, restart your computer in Normal mode, and then update your display adapter drivers. The following steps describe this procedure in more detail:

Start Windows in Safe mode. To do so:
    Restart the computer, and then press F8 while the computer starts.
    On the Windows Advanced Options Menu that appears, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
    Use the ARROW keys to select the operating system to start, and then press ENTER to start Windows XP in Safe mode.
    In the message that states that Windows is running in Safe mode, click Yes.
    Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32 in the Open box, and then click OK.
    Under System Summary, expand Components, and then click Display.
    In the right pane, note the information that corresponds to the INF File item, for example, Nv4.inf, Oem0.inf, or Atim128.inf.
    Quit the System Information utility.
    Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    Expand Display adapters, right-click the display adapter, and then click Uninstall.
    Click OK.
    Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each line:
    ren %systemroot%\inf\INF file name from Step 5.inf *inf.old
    ren %systemroot%\inf\INF file name from Step 5.pnf *pnf.old
    Close all open windows, and then restart the computer in the typical manner.
    Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrative privileges, and then wait for Windows to detect new hardware.
    When the Found New Hardware Wizard starts, click Cancel.

If you receive a stop error after you remove the updated display drivers, restart the computer and use the Last Known Good Configuration option. To do this, restart the computer, and then press the F8 key while the computer starts. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu that appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

If you receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" message when Windows starts, restart the computer again. This error message does not recur.
    Obtain and install the latest drivers for your display adapter.For information about how to contact your computer manufacturer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Frankie, Sep 12, 2012
Ask a Question