BSOD after partition crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Computer semi-expert, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

Hi, everyone. If I voilate group policy, bear with me, I'm new... but please tell me!

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that originally had Windows XP Home Edition (I think SP3) on it. I made it into a multi-boot system with Windows XP and 7, Puppy Linux, and Debian.

After I installed Debian, the Windows 7 partition got corrupted, but not so bad that it was unreadable. Sigh... I ended up using a boot CD to manually modify the partition table. This resulted in loss of some Windows 7 files and the corruption of the XP partition. AAAAAAAAAAA!

I finally was able to recover the XP files with another computer. I then copied the XP files back to their partition. However, now XP won't boot right. I replaced some files using a Home Edition SP2 CD. These files included ntoskrnl.exe and smss.exe (there might have been some others, but I'm not sure what they were). A cool side effect of this was that I learned that ntoskrnl draws the famous XP loading screen. However, that didn't help any (other that replacing smss removed one BSOD error, only to be replaced by another).

When I boot my computer to XP, here's what happens:
    • I go through the multi-boot rituals.
    • The XP loading screen appears. The progress bar suddenly slows waaaay down for a while, then speeds back up for a little. (This is the SP2 ntoskrnl. The SP3 version just freezes.)
    • A screen briefly appears (see first attachment) that says "autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK".
    • A BSOD appears (see second attachment) that says "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."
    Any suggestions on how to fix this? I really don't want to have to do a Repair Install unless I absolutely have to. I have run a few programs on my backup copy of the recovered files and they seem to be uncorrupted.

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

Computer semi-expert, Jan 13, 2019
  2. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

BTW, I also replaced hal.dll.

Computer semi-expert, Jan 13, 2019
  3. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

Ok, I feel really dumb for not checking what I replaced in the first place. Here's the whole list:
    • autochk.exe
    • hal.dll
    • kernel32.dll
    • ntoskrnl.exe
    • smss.exe
    • winlogon.exe

Computer semi-expert, Jan 14, 2019
  4. Computer semi-expert

j896

j896, Jan 26, 2019
  5. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

Thanks, but my problem is not with the multiboot configuration. It's with XP itself.
    Tip: pretend that I don't have a multiboot system and reread my post.

Computer semi-expert, Jan 26, 2019
  6. Computer semi-expert

Elizabeth23

7. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

I ended up replacing the files I had replaced with SP3 versions. Now it just does the loading screen and reboots. Also, for some reason, boot logging won't work. Any ideas?

Computer semi-expert, Jan 27, 2019
  8. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

Update: I got a lot of BSODs that said different files were corrupted. I replaced them all. Then I got a BSOD (see attached) that wasn't a specific file. From my research, this means a corrupted win32k.sys file. I replaced win32k.sys but I still get the BSOD.

Attached Files:

Computer semi-expert, Jan 28, 2019
  9. Computer semi-expert

Elizabeth23

the first thing I would do is run chkdsk with the /r parameter, and run at least twice, and if that does not work and since you have replaced so many files, a repair install would seem the best bet.

Elizabeth23, Jan 28, 2019
  10. Computer semi-expert

Computer semi-expert

I ended up slipstreaming an SP3 ISO and repair installing XP. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

Computer semi-expert, Feb 17, 2019
Ask a Question