BSOD after installing a driver on Windows XP Embedded - can I reverse?

I was trying to install a Bluetooth dongle driver using an installer from Belkin's website on my Windows XP Embedded machine (a Wyse thin client) and after restarting, I get a BSOD:

STOP: c0000021a (Fatal System Error)
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000139 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Attempting to boot with last known good configuration gets:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD ROM.
Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair.

Attempting to boot into safe mode gets:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78FF528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Can this be reversed? I don't know what files the installer changed. There were a lot of files in the installer's folder.

If I can't rescue this installation, can I find the Windows installation key by booting from a USB flash drive? Although there is a sticker on the case with a code on it, it doesn't seem like the usual 25 character code I'd expect to see.

I can get to a command prompt if I boot from a Windows XP Embedded installation disk 1 image I put onto a USB flash drive.

boot to hiren's boot disk or puppy linux, or take the drive to another pc and then find the driver and uninstall, then run checkdisk with the /r parameter and then see if it will boot.

boot to hiren's boot disk or puppy linux, or take the drive to another pc and then find the driver and uninstall, then run checkdisk with the /r parameter and then see if it will boot.

Thanks for your response. When I boot to Hiren's Boot CD from a USB flash drive, it doesn't respond to my USB keyboard. Would a PS/2 keyboard make a difference? The BIOS responds to my USB keyboard so I don't see why the boot CD would be any different?

Unfortunately. I cannot move the drive to another PC since it's a "disk on module" which has a very unusual interface/connection.

If I get nowhere with Hiren's Boot CD, I'll try Puppy Linux. I'm not really sure what to look for when I'm trying to remove the driver but I do have this clue. The download I used to install the driver from contains the following files:

0x0404.ini
0x0406.ini
0x0407.ini
0x0409.ini
0x040a.ini
0x040b.ini
0x040c.ini
0x0410.ini
0x0411.ini
0x0412.ini
0x0413.ini
0x0414.ini
0x0415.ini
0x0416.ini
0x0419.ini
0x041d.ini
0x0804.ini
1028.mst
1030.mst
1031.mst
1033.mst
1034.mst
1035.mst
1036.mst
1040.mst
1041.mst
1042.mst
1043.mst
1044.mst
1045.mst
1046.mst
1049.mst
1053.mst
2052.mst
Autorun.inf
Autorun.inf.bak
BBalloon.dll
belkin.bmp
btw.ico
BTW.msi
btwusb.cat
btwusb.inf
btwusb.inf.bak
btwusb.sys
btw_ci.dll
CustomBr.ctm
CustomCs.ctm
CustomCt.ctm
CustomDa.ctm
CustomDu.ctm
CustomEn.ctm
CustomFi.ctm
CustomFr.ctm
CustomGr.ctm
CustomIt.ctm
CustomJp.ctm
CustomKo.ctm
CustomNo.ctm
CustomPo.ctm
CustomRu.ctm
CustomSp.ctm
CustomSw.ctm
Data1.cab
frmupgr.sys
Inst.exe
instmsia.exe
instmsiw.exe
license.dat
MSVCP60.DLL
setup.exe
Setup.ini
Spylite.exe

<DIR> svcpack
contains:
SvcPack.ini

should be listed in add/remove and if not can be uninstalled from device manager,

it might be better to have a ps/2 keyboard, or there may be a setting in bios that will activate the usb keyboard.

how many times have you tried to get to safe mode? once, try a couple of times because safe mode is supposed to load only the generic drivers.

do you have a cd drive and can boot to hiren's on a cd??

I can't access the device manager because I can't boot into Windows! I've tried multiple times (in order to confirm the error messages (I put in my first post)).

I put Hiren's Boot CD on a USB drive and I can boot from that but it doesn't respond to my keyboard. I'm going to get a PS/2 keyboard off a friend and try that.

I don't think that anything I do in Device Manager when I boot from Hiren's Boot CD will affect the Windows installation on the machine. There is the mini XP installation which is on the USB drive and that's part of Hiren's Boot CD. The Windows installation of my machine is a totally separate thing. I doubt that any changes made to the Device Manager when booting from Hiren's Boot CD will even be saved to the USB drive, but even if they were, that would not affect the system on the machine.

you do not want to save to the usb drive, you can access your c drive from hiren's and make changes to your c drive which will stay with the c drive.

you do not want to save to the usb drive, you can access your c drive from hiren's and make changes to your c drive which will stay with the c drive.

Yeah, I can make changes like manually add or delete or modify files but I can't do it in the semi-automated way of using the Device Manager.

okay, then just use add / remove and remove what you installed that caused the bsod

and run chkdsk with the /r parameter before attempting to boot from the c drive

Back