Browse Internet Explorer in a Windows XP environment without security certificate issues.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Gilwork1, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Gilwork1

Gilwork1

I have a computer with:

* Asus P5Q Pro motherboard

* Intel Core 2 Extreme 3.2 ghz processor

* 4 GB memory

* 2 Tera hard drive

* Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 video card

Now, I have Windows XP x86 installed on my computer, I have installed updates to my computer, I tried to surf the web through a Google site .... and a site does not load.

I get an error message saying that I have a problem with the Google site security certificate, and that the certificate has expired.

And that's not at all, I even tried to install Google Chrome (the browser I like to set by default), and the Google site shows me a clock error.

Anyone know how to fix the Windows XP security certificate issue?

Gilwork1, Aug 16, 2021
  2. Gilwork1

ClippyBeer

You can't use Internet Explorer or any Chrome browser in Windows XP anymore due to outdated certificates. You shouldn't use Internet Explorer at all because of all the known security issues. Use a Mozilla-based browser such as MyPal.

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

ClippyBeer, Aug 16, 2021
  3. Gilwork1

red Guest

red, Aug 16, 2021
  4. Gilwork1

Gilwork1

Thanks ClippyBeer for reply,
    If that so I will use Mozilla Firefox or Mypal for browsing. I relized that Internet Explorer and Google Chrome are not supported on XP at all.

Gilwork1, Aug 16, 2021
  5. Gilwork1

Samir

These are actually incorrect.

Portable chrome 45 does still work, but you cannot use google as your search engine to search from the address bar. Also portable firefox 52 works fine. I've not had any good luck with mypal.

To harden my xp systems, I run the windows steady state add-on after I have the system set up the way I want and before connecting it online. I then install the portable versions of the browsers on another drive/partition so that the system is pretty much a toaster and impervious to malware--just reboot and it's back to how it was set up. You can even image the whole drive using clonezilla and then restore it if it ever goes bonkers.

Samir, Aug 28, 2021
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  6. Gilwork1

ClippyBeer

Chrome won't connect to 95% of websites because most require HTTPS and XP's outdated certificates won't work.
    Mozilla browsers such as Firefox, MyPal etc. have their own certificates that can be updated so only Mozilla based browsers can be used in XP with HTTPS. Most users on this forum use MyPal in XP so maybe you could tell us what problems you are having so we could help you.

ClippyBeer, Aug 28, 2021
  7. Gilwork1

Samir

Again this is quite incorrect. I am able to use portable chrome 45 for most web sites. For all others I used FF. If neither of those work, I have chrome 68 on a win7 image I boot up.

Samir, Aug 28, 2021
  8. Gilwork1

ClippyBeer

I'm not sure why you are posting mis-information on a site for XP enthusiasts. It's a well known (at least by people who have been using XP since its inception) that Chrome won't connect to sites that require HTTPS anymore and neither will Internet Explorer.

[​IMG]

Most websites use HTTPS.

https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/ce-httpsdefault

There are still a few HTTP sites but that number is dwindling thanks to Google.

MyPal is continually recommended by me and other long-time members of this forum because unlike Firefox it is updated regularly for XP.

ClippyBeer, Aug 29, 2021
    j896 likes this.
  9. Gilwork1

Samir

It's not misinformation as I use it on a regular basis and that is my experience. Sites like xpforums and a few others will not, but most forums online and most sites in general do not have a problem with https. And for those where I have issues, FF works. For the very few that don't work on either, I have another system.

My pal never worked for me on any platform--it simply tries to hook in too deep into the OS. I prefer portable and standalone programs so that my OS is kept clean. Plus, using steadystate, reboot restorerx, and/or timefreez limits how applications can 'hook in' so my pal is a no-go.

You can try it for yourself here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/wi...ses/X-Chromium_45.0.2440.0_rev15.zip/download

Just unzip and run.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Samir, Aug 29, 2021
Ask a Question