Broadcom CrystalHD driver issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by FranceBB, Nov 22, 2015.

1. FranceBB

FranceBB

Hi,
    I recently bought the Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder card, model BCM70015.
    I connected the card in the free pci-e slot of the netbook (an old, crappy Acer Aspire One AO 532h).
    When I booted , the device showed up correctly with the Windows Compatibility driver.
    So, I just tried to let Windows install the driver and it didn't install it automatically.
    "Well, never mind, it's normal" I said.
    So I downloaded the last driver from the Broadcom site and I installed it manually.
    The installation was successful and I rebooted.
    Then, I opened the device manager again, but (surprise surprise) the device popped up as "not working correctly".
    Weird, isn't it?
    So, I just clicked "restore previous driver" and then I installed the old version of the driver.
    Everything was working fine, except for the fact that Windows was, indeed, using the card, but players weren't able to use it.
    So, I decided to update again but using the driver version provided by HP (with some fixes, even if it's not the brand of my pc) and it worked, but the players weren't able to use the device once again.
    I then decided to uninstall everything and to update again to the last version of the driver downloaded from the official site again, but... I had another wonderful surprise.
    This time it worked, but if I try to open videos using potplayer, everything is purple and it doesn't use hardware acceleration.
    If I try to open videos on youtube or using Windows Media Player, instead, it tries to use the hardware acceleration using the Broadcom Card but it fails and it ends up with a wonderful blue-screen that shows a report about a driver issue (you don't say?).
    So... I thought it could have been a codec issue; I uninstalled all the codec packs I had and I installed the last version of K-Lite Codec Pack, Mega version, but it didn't solve the problem.
    If I just enter in Windows device manager now, it says that everything is working fine (even if it's not).
    So... I have no clue.
    I tried to call the broadcom support (toll number, thanks God) and I spoke with two very polite guys that told me that they don't provide support for customers, but only for companies.
    In other words, they told me to show the issue to the shop and that they will help them fixing it.
    Well... let's just say that I'm in Germany now for work-related stuff, far away from SF (CA) and I can't just "show the issue to the shop".
    I mean, I can send them an email, but... you know...
    Anyway, I don't know what can I do now.
    I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 (The licence belongs to my previous company, which is closed now) 32bit, all the updates installed 'till the end of support and I'm not a member of the extended custom support (but I would really pay for receiving it).
    Thank you in advance for helping me and... please, don't just say "update to win10".
    I have Windows 7 Professional x64 at work and I use to work with Windows Server 2008 r2 (very good version compared to the previous 2003 'cause setting up the failover cluster is a way easier).

FranceBB, Nov 22, 2015
  2. FranceBB

Elizabeth23

what version of installer is on your pc??

To find out which version of Windows Installer you have installed on your PC, do this:

Click on 'Start'
    Then click 'Run'
    In the box type msiexec then click OK.
    Then another box will come up and at the top of the box the first line should read which which version of Windows Installer you have installed on your PC.

===========

C:\Documents and Settings\Ricky\Desktop\crystalhd_3.6.9\CrystalHD_3.6.9.32

look in the folder isssetup prerequisites, do you need to install these first??

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Elizabeth23, Nov 22, 2015
  3. FranceBB

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Nov 22, 2015
  4. FranceBB

FranceBB

I'm at work right now and I can't check, but I'm gonna check the link later.
    As to Windows Installer, instead, I have Windows ® Installer 4.5.6002.23731.

FranceBB, Nov 23, 2015
  5. FranceBB

Elizabeth23

just wanted to check 4.5 is the latest installer for xp so that part of the install is okay.

Elizabeth23, Nov 23, 2015
  6. FranceBB

FranceBB

Yes, basically I just found out that the .15 version has never been fully supported by Broadcom and people had problem with that.
    That said, they may have fixed the issue with other drivers, but definitely not for XP.
    It seems that the only thing to do is to create a modded/custom drivers.
    I'm gonna keep googling around to see if someone did it already, otherwise... well... I don't know...

FranceBB, Nov 24, 2015
  7. FranceBB

Elizabeth23

you might search around for a decoder card that is compatible with xp, but it might not be easy, :(

Elizabeth23, Nov 24, 2015
  8. FranceBB

FranceBB

Well, that's the only one, even 'cause nvidia ion is sold with built-in solutions only... or should I say "was sold" :(
    Well, never mind.
    The bad thing is that I'm stuck with a netbook 'cause I have to move.
    I left an AMD 6 core desktop with XP in Italy when I moved to U.S, then I left an i5 in the States when my Visa ended and an i7 when I just moved from U.K to Germany for work-related stuff. I mean, I still have my main residence in Elgin Mews (Notting Hill), but I have to live in Germany so that I can go there only a few times.
    So... well, I don't want to build a desktop workstation that I may leave in the future.
    As to portable solutions, unfortunately, XP is no longer supported by almost every products.
    As to desktop solutions, instead, there are still new motherboards that have drivers for XP, but, as I said before, I don't want to build a new pc...
    So... that's about it.
    Sorry for the whole OT.

p.s thanks to the clone disk function I have the exact same copy of XP since 2002 ;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    FranceBB, Nov 24, 2015
  9. FranceBB

Elizabeth23

you can also look in thrift stores for people getting rid of old pcs, and take all the good parts, :)

Elizabeth23, Nov 24, 2015
Ask a Question