Bought 2 laptops at auction need to install Win XP Pro using Product Key on tag.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by TheSherryA, Aug 16, 2012.

1. TheSherryA

TheSherryA

I attended a state surplus auction and bought 2 laptops. The tech said I could find Win XP online to download and install it on the laptops using the Product Key provided on the tags. I am pretty computer savvy but I am finding this is not as easy as he led me to believe.

Both laptops have the Product Key tag on the bottom. One says Win XP Pro 1-2 CPU IBM and the other says Win Vista Business.

The machine with the Win XP Pro product key is an IBM ThinkPad. Booting it up I get a screen that gives me two choices,
    Press F1 for IBM BIOS Setup Utility
    Press F12 to choose temporary boot device
    Where can I find and download Win XP Pro to a CD or flashdrive and install it onto this machine using it's Product Key?

I am correct that I can not put Win XP using the Win Vista Business product key on the Win Vista Business machine??

Thanks for your help,
    Sherry

TheSherryA, Aug 16, 2012
  2. TheSherryA

Elizabeth23

you can not download xp on line you will have to find a disc and then install and use the product key

vista must be installed on the vista machine.

Elizabeth23, Mar 18, 2013
  3. TheSherryA

Arfer Daley

you need too find a friend that has a win xp pro or vista cd that says only too be supplied with a new pc and use the product keys under the laptop i have done this with a T43P and 2x T60 all IBM thinkpads lenovo's (tip} set harddrive to compatability mode in bios before you start the older install cd wont see the sata drive if you have sata harddrive installed
    also while your in the bios set cd/dvd drive as first boot device

Arfer Daley, Jul 25, 2013
Ask a Question