Blue screen of death when installing Windows XP (Professional?)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by MelonChickens, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MelonChickens

MelonChickens

Tracking... Oh, wait. That's YOUR location.
    Hello!
    Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, but this seemed relevant for the setup.

I am having an issue when attempting to install Windows XP from a disc. The setup will load up until when it says, 'Setup is starting Windows...', when a BSOD will always come up with a STOP error message.
    Looking around, it seems to be a dead end chasing up what the STOP message was.
    I decided to rip the CD and put it into an ISO, so I could test it in Virtualbox. Upon booting, it installed and ran perfectly.
    So, I am suspecting that it may have something to do with my system.
    I am running an ASUS X58L series laptop with an Intel Celeron - M575 running at 2.00Ghz and 1GB of PC2 RAM running Windows Vista with a Intel Internal GMA X3100 Gfx card.
    Help would be appreciated.

MelonChickens, Aug 1, 2017
  2. MelonChickens

Elizabeth23

I need the stop message info please:

[​IMG]

Elizabeth23, Aug 1, 2017
  3. MelonChickens

MelonChickens

This is all the information it would display, along with the 'A problem has been detected' gubbins:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7983528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    When searching around, Google was a pile of crap and showed things completely different to my error message.

MelonChickens, Aug 3, 2017
  4. MelonChickens

MelonChickens

UPDATE: After heavy research, I have found that the 0x0000007B error code means the following:
    This BSOD means that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup. BSOD error code 0x0000007B may also show "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" on the same blue screen.
    It didn't show "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" on the screen, so I just hope it is correct

MelonChickens, Aug 3, 2017
  5. MelonChickens

Elizabeth23

boot into a recovery disk and run checkdisk, if you do not have a sata drive run the recovery console with fixmbr and fixboot, if you have a sata drive, download Hiren's boot disk and burn to a cd or a flash drive and then within Mini-XP run it from there, you should also run checkdisk with the /r parameter, run as many times as it takes till it finds no errors.

Elizabeth23, Aug 3, 2017
  6. MelonChickens

MelonChickens

I did use a CD with Hiren's that I had lying around to run fixmbr and all sorts, but it just didn't work.
    Then, I found a utility under the 'Other' section that will allow me to copy installation files from the CD to the SATA HDD. So, I tried that, with no luck.
    Then, I grabbed an old 32GB SSD that I had lying around to test if it would work with that.
    VoilĂ ! The XP setup ran, with no issues.
    After grabbing a few drivers from my HDD, I now have a fully-functional XP installation with the benefit of an SSD.
    Turns out it was Professional. :D
    Thanks for the suggestion, though.

MelonChickens, Aug 4, 2017
  7. MelonChickens

Elizabeth23

you are welcome, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 5, 2017
Ask a Question